Pats Wrap up Road Trip in Medicine Hat
February 5, 2023 - Western Hockey League (WHL) - Regina Pats News Release
Medicine Hat, Alta. - The Regina Pats finish their four game Alberta road trip today at 5:00 p.m. CST against the Medicine Hat Tigers inside Co-Op Place.
The Pats have grabbed five of a possible six points over the course of the first three games of their Alberta road trip, with all three contests finishing by one-goal.
The Pats are coming off a 3-2 victory over the Lethbridge Hurricanes on Friday for their second straight victory in comeback fashion. The Pats led 1-0 after one but trailed 2-1 after two. Sam Oremba opened the scoring for Regina, while Alexander Suzdalev and Zack Stringer scored the tying and go-ahead goals to give the Pats the lead in the final stanza. Drew Sim stood on his head, making 33 saves for his 20th win of the season. The final shots were 35-25 for the Hurricanes. The Pats went 0-4 on their power play and 2-2 on their penalty kill.
Meanwhile, the Medicine Hat Tigers are coming off a 4-2 win over the Lethbridge Hurricanes last night for their second straight victory. The Tigers fell down 2-0 before scoring four unanswered goals to capture the win. Oasiz Wiesblatt scored twice while Caden Lindstrom, and Tyer MacKenzie rounded out the scoring for the Tigers. Evan May recorded his third win of the year, making 35 saves. The shots were 37-32 for the Hurricanes. Medicine Hat went 1-3 on the power play and 4-6 on their penalty kill.
The Tigers have grabbed at least a point in seven straight games now (5-0-2-0). Over their last seven games, the Tigers have outscored their opponents 33-to-20. They've also won four straight home games coming in. 2022 WHL first overall pick Gavin McKenna will play in the lineup today, and he is a distant relative of Pats captain Connor Bedard.
Regina Medicine Hat
Team Record 24-21-2-1 - 51 points 20-21-7-1 - 48 points
Division Ranking 4th East 5th Central
Conference Ranking 7th Eastern 9th Eastern
League Ranking 11th 14th
Past 10 Games 6-3-1-0 6-2-2-0
Streak 2-0-1-0 5-0-2-0
Last Game 3-2 W @ Lethbridge (Feb 3 2023) Final 4-2 W vs Lethbridge (Feb 4 2023) Final
Home Record 11-10-0-1 9-10-3-1
Away Record 13-11-2-0 11-11-4-0
GF 178 178
GA 191 171
PP (Overall) (49/185) 26.5% (41/211) 19.4%
PP (Home) (22/85) 25.9% (20/98) 20.4%
PP (Away) (27/100) 27.0% (21/113) 18.6%
PK (Overall) (50/212) 76.4% (56/212) 73.6%
PK (Home) (15/87) 82.8% (22/95) 76.8%
PK (Away) (35/125) 72.0% (34/117) 70.9%
PP vs. Opp. (1/3) 33.3% (0/2) 0%
PK vs. Opp. (0/2) 100% (1/3) 66.7%
Leading Rookie Suzdalev (27-37-64) Lindstrom (14-15-29)
Most PIM Vaughan - 65 Wiesblatt - 66
Team PIM/GM 13.4/Game 12.5/Game
Leading Scorers Bedard (44-46-90) Wiesblatt (19-23-42)
Suzdalev (27-37-64) Basha (11-31-42)
Howe (23-35-58) Lee (20-18-38)
Svozil (5-45-50) Boehm (18-17-35)
Valis (17-21-38) Melin (12-19-31)
Last 5 Games 3-2 W @ Lethbridge (Feb 3 2023) Final 4-2 W vs Lethbridge (Feb 4 2023) Final
6-5 W @ Calgary (Feb 1 2023) Final SO 6-4 W @ Regina (Jan 29 2023) Final
6-5 L @ Red Deer (Jan 31 2023) Final OT 3-2 L @ Moose Jaw (Jan 28 2023) Final OT
6-4 L vs Medicine Hat (Jan 29 2023) Final 4-3 L vs Swift Current (Jan 22 2023) Final OT
5-2 W vs Swift Current (Jan 21 2023) Final 7-1 W vs Calgary (Jan 21 2023) Final
Leading After 1st 17-3-1-0 9-5-1-0
Leading After 2nd 19-1-1-0 14-2-3-0
Tied After 1st 4-3-0-0 10-8-3-0
Tied After 2nd 2-5-0-0 3-5-2-1
Trailing After 1st 3-15-1-1 1-8-3-1
Trailing After 2nd 3-15-1-1 3-14-2-0
Out Shooting Opponents 10-6-0-1 14-10-4-1
Out Shot by Opponents 12-15-2-0 5-11-3-0
1 Goal Games 10-3-2-1 6-6-7-1
2 Goal Games 1-3-0-0 3-7-0-0
3 Goal Games 7-6-0-0 4-5-0-0
WHERE TO WATCH/LISTEN
Stream: WHL Live
HEAD TO HEAD (1-0-0-0)
The Pats are 127-122-12-2-3 vs. the Tigers, all-time.
Date Home Away Time Result
January 29th Regina Medicine Hat 4:00 p.m. CST L, 6-4
February 5th Medicine Hat Regina 4:00 p.m. MDT
February 22nd Regina Medicine Hat 7:00 p.m. CST
March 11th Medicine Hat Regina 7:00 p.m. MDT
It's the second of four meetings against the Tigers this season, and the first of the season inside Co-Op Place. Last season, Regina won the season series 3-1, outscoring Medicine Hat 18-to-9 in the season series. The Pats are 3-9-0-1 against the Tigers over the last six seasons. Prior to last year, the Pats had dropped eight in a row versus the Tigers.
Medicine Hat Tigers
# Name GP G A PTS PIM +/-
27 Bogdans Hodass 1 2 2 4 2 5
34 Andrew Basha 1 1 1 2 2 2
17 Brayden Boehm 1 1 1 2 2 2
7 Oasiz Wiesblatt 1 0 2 2 0 1
12 Pavel Bocharov 1 1 0 1 0 2
26 Tomas Mrsic 1 1 0 1 0 1
# Name GP W L OTL SL Mins GA GAA SV%
35 Beckett Langkow 1 1 0 0 0 60:00 4 4.00 0.840
# Name GP G A PTS PIM +/-
98 Connor Bedard 1 3 1 4 0 1
11 Stanislav Svozil 1 0 2 2 0 1
25 Zane Rowan 1 1 0 1 0 -2
3 Luke Bateman 1 0 1 1 0 0
40 Parker Berge 1 0 1 1 0 -3
91 Alexander Suzdalev 1 0 1 1 0 0
# Name GP W L OTL SL Mins GA GAA SV%
33 Drew Sim 1 0 1 0 0 58:30 5 5.13 0.868
The Regina Pats are 6-2-1 over their last nine games, defeating the Calgary Hitmen twice (6-2 & 6-5), Saskatoon Blades (7-4), Portland Winterhawks (4-3), Swift Current Broncos (5-2) and Lethbridge Hurricanes (3-2) which comes following a three game losing-streak from Jan. 1 - Jan. 6...during tha time, they have outscored their opponents 42-to-35...are also 11-for-34 on the PP (32.3%) over their last nine.
13 (+1 in shootout) number of goals for the Pats over the first three games of this Alberta road trip, as all three contests on the trip have ended by one goal...the Pats have received goals from seven different players over the last three games.
Regina Pats Head Coach and GM John Paddock (199) is currently one win away from 200 as Pats coach...he is three wins away from tying Frank Mario (202) for third on the all-time wins list, while 7 wins away from tying Murray Armstrong (206) for second on the list.
BY THE NUMBERS
90: Number of points (44G-46A) in 36 games for captain Connor Bedard leads the WHL...his 46 assists are first and his 44 goals are also first...the North Vancouver, BC product had his career best 35 game point-streak and 11 game goal-streak end on Friday.
64: Points for Alexander Suzdalev leads all WHL rookies...his 27 goals also lead all rookies while his 37 assists are first...he is currently riding a nine game point-streak (6G-11A-17PTS)...he also has points in 29 of his last 34 games (21G-34A-55PTS)...his 15 PPG is second the WHL.
4: Four points (2G-2A) for 17-year-old forward Sam Oremba over his last three contests where he is on a three game point-streak...the Regina, Sask. product has tied his longest point-streak of his WHL career has he had one from 2021-4-16 - 2021-4-24 (1G-2A-3PTS)
13: Number of assists in eight games for defenceman Stanislav Svozil since coming back from the World Juniors on Jan. 13...the Czechia product leads all defencemen in assists and is tied for second in the WHL in assists behind Bedard with 45...his 1.39 points/game is tied for first amongst D.
20: Wins this season for goaltender Drew Sim has him tied for fifth in the WHL...The Tees, Alta. product has also ranks sixth in minutes (1994) and seventh in games played (35)...he has faced 1068 shots against this season which is seventh amongst WHL goaltenders.
7:00 p.m., Friday, Feb. 11 Moose Jaw Warriors (31-16-0-3) at Regina Pats (24-21-2-1)
7:00 p.m., Friday, Feb. 17 Regina Pats (24-21-2-1) at Prince Albert Raiders (19-27-3-0)
7:00 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 18 Winnipeg ICE (37-7-1-0) at Regina Pats (24-21-2-1)
2:00 p.m., Monday, Feb. 20 Lethbridge Hurricanes (27-18-3-2) at Regina Pats (24-21-2-1)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2023
- Thunderbirds Fire Past Spokane - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs Drop Seventh Straight, Fall 3-1 to Seattle - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Lose Close One to Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Giants Back in the Win Column Sunday - Vancouver Giants
- Pats Fall to Tigers 5-1 on Sunday Afternoon - Regina Pats
- Sold Out Crowd Treated To Tigers 5-1 Victory Over Regina - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Silvertips Best Rebels 4-2, Cap off Five-Point Weekend - Everett Silvertips
- Blades Score Four-Unanswered Completing Comeback vs Wheat Kings - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Comeback to Double up Wheat Kings Sunday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calvert Scores Late to Lift Warriors Past Hitmen on Sunday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Warriors Edge Hitmen 2-1 - Calgary Hitmen
- Dylan Guenther Assigned to Seattle Thunderbirds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Americans to Wrap up Three-In-Three Weekend in Vancouver - Tri-City Americans
- Winterhawks Clinch Postseason Berth for 12th Consecutive Season - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Preview February 5 vs Regina - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Aim to End Road Trip on High Note in Calgary - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pats Wrap up Road Trip in Medicine Hat - Regina Pats
- Cowan's Heroics, 45 Saves Not Enough as Chiefs Lose Heartbreaking Shootout to Rebels - Spokane Chiefs
- Rockets Blank Raiders, 4-0 - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings & Blades Prepare for Sunday Clash - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Melt WHL's Top ICE in Front of Berserk SaskTel Centre - Saskatoon Blades
- Thunderbirds Blanked by Bears - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Winterhawks Clinch 12th Consecutive WHL Playoff Berth - Portland Winterhawks
- Mirwald Stands Tall But Giants Fall to Blazers 4-2 - Vancouver Giants
- Portland Is Playoff Bound After 4-1 Win Over Tri-City - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals' Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Raiders Shut Out By Rockets 4-0 To End Bc Road Trip - Prince Albert Raiders
- Saskatoon Slips Past ICE - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Pats Alumnus Mahura & Panthers Reach Stanley Cup Finals
- Pats to Host 2023 Spring Camp from May 26-28 at the Co-Operators Centre
- Mahura & Stephenson Compete in Eastern & Western Conference Final
- Pats Ink 2023 Third-Round Pick Kuzma
- Pats Select 12 Players in 2023 WHL Prospects Draft