Walleye Ink Standout Goaltender Billy Christopoulos
Goaltender Billy Christopoulos has agreed to terms with the Toledo Walleye for the 2020-21 season.
Christopoulos returns to the Pond after playing 29 games with the Fish during the 2019-20 season. The 26-year-old finished his first professional season with a league-best .932 save percentage, while posting a 24-3-3 record. He had a 2.29 goals against average last season, which finished as the sixth-best in the ECHL. His 24 wins was third-best in the league.
"We are very fortunate and excited to have, in my opinion, the best young goalie in the ECHL back in Toledo. He was arguably the best goalie from Christmas time until the season ended. He is an extremely hard worker during practice, which makes himself and our players better. He is a calming influence during the game and our players feel very confident when he is in goal. He has proven that he deserves the opportunity to be a starting goalie and number one goalie for our team. Dan Watson, Walleye Head Coach
Twice during the 2019-20 season, Christopoulos was honored by the league as Goaltender of the Week and Month. From February 17 through 23, he went 2-0-0 with a 1.00GAA and .977SVP. The second came as Goaltender of the Month, when he went 5-1-1 over seven starts in February with a sparkling 1.82GAA and a .947SVP.
Before turning pro, the 6-foot-2, 193-pound goaltender was recruited to play for the United States Air Force Academy, posting a record of 42-35-11 in 93 career games over four seasons. He was named First-Team All-Atlantic Hockey during his senior season, and finished his collegiate career tied for second all-time with a .915 save percentage and third with a 2.25 goals-against average. The North Carolina native has been accepted into the World Class Athlete Program (WCAP), where he looks to earn a spot on the 2022 U.S.A. Olympic team.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 10, 2020
- Stingrays Announce 2020-21 Team Captains - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - December 10 - ECHL
- Utah Grizzlies Announce Opening Day Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Saturday's IceMen Home Opener Is Officially Sold out - Jacksonville Icemen
- Walleye Ink Standout Goaltender Billy Christopoulos - Toledo Walleye
- Mavericks Announce 2020-21 Season-Opening Roster - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Unveil Season-Opening Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Announce 2020-21 Season-Opening Roster - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Announce Season-Opening Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Season-Opening Rosters - ECHL
- Rush Announce 2020-21 Season-Opening Roster - Rapid City Rush
- Nailers Announce 2020-21 Season Opening Roster - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Announce Season Opening Roster - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Announces Season-Opening Roster - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Add Nick Lazor as Equipment Manager - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.