Walks Add up in Saltdogs Series-Opening Win
LINCOLN, NE - The Lincoln Saltdogs drew a season-high 10 walks and beat the Texas AirHogs 9-4 in the series opener at Haymarket Park.
The five-run victory marked the first time since July 3rd that the Saltdogs (36-40) beat an opponent by more than four runs.
Joe Bircher earned the win after going six innings and allowing three runs on six hits. It was his second straight quality start and the fourth straight quality start from a Saltdogs pitcher.
The AirHogs (19-57) got on the board first. Jesse Baker singled up the middle to start the third inning and Liang Pei followed with a bunt single. Three batters later, Dillon Thomas lofted a hit to left-center field to score Baker. Thomas beat the throw in to second base for a double and the throw allowed Pei to score.
Lincoln responded in the next half inning. Ivan Marin and Christian Ibarra each worked walks from AirHogs starter Sean Stutzman. Then, Brandon Jacobs blasted a three-run homer to left field to give the 'Dogs the lead. It was his team-best 15th homer and brought him to a tie for the second most in the league.
Texas kept the offense rolling in the top of the fourth. Greg Golson ripped a ball over the left field wall to tie the game 3-3. It was his first homer with the AirHogs.
The Saltdogs grabbed the lead for good in the bottom of the fourth. Stutzman put three baserunners aboard before Jacobs lifted a sacrifice fly to right field. Alex Glenn scored and Marin tagged to third base. Right fielder Stewart Ijames' throw to third base got by the fielder letting Marin head to home plate. Two batters later, Curt Smith notched an RBI single to make it 6-3.
Lincoln kept going in the sixth. Thomas, the center fielder, dropped a fly out to put Jacobs aboard. Then, reliever Su Guangyao walked three straight hitters to send in a run. T.J. Bennett registered a sac fly RBI to make it 8-3.
The Saltdogs tacked on another run in the eighth. After hits from Randolph Oduber and Cesar Valera, Dashenko Ricardo smacked a two-out single to extend the lead to six runs.
Saltdogs reliever Jose Jose retired all six batters he faced. Righty Cortland Cox gave up a run in the ninth but recorded the final outs to secure the win.
Every Saltdogs batter reached base within the first six innings. Jacobs tied his season-high with four RBIs and Ricardo collected a multi-hit game.
The Saltdogs try to win their third straight on Friday night. First pitch is at 7:06 PM with coverage beginning at 6:35 PM on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM and http://saltdogs.com/stream/.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 9, 2018
- Saints Prove to be Men of Steele, Hold on for 7-5 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Walks Add up in Saltdogs Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- 4-run ninth inning not enough in 7-5 loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Win Third Straight Behind Seyler's Gem - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Stars Will Shine Brightest at CHS Field in 2019 as Saints to Host American Association All-Star Game - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Hosting Larry the Cable Guy for Git-R-Done Night - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Sign Right-Handed Pitcher Wirkin Estevez - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Finish off Sweep of Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Rally Comes up Short in Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- Cleburne Takes Rubber Match from Winnipeg in Ninth Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Three More Homers Lead Dogs to Series Victory over RedHawks - Chicago Dogs
- Wingnuts Turn Triple Play, Sweep Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wooten Pitches Saltdogs to Rubber Match Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Keury De La Cruz Crushes Two Homers in Loss to Dogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- KC Pins the Hogs 4-2 for Series Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Win Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Saltdogs Stories
- Saltdogs Hosting League Meetings
- Saltdogs Collect Talented Group of Players to Complete Earlier Trades
- Haymarket Park Picked as 'Field of the Year' for the 18th Straight Season
- 2018 Season Recap
- Season Recap: Third Straight Winning Season Marked by Great Moments