T-Bones Sign Right-Handed Pitcher Wirkin Estevez
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - The Kansas City T-Bones announced today that the club has signed right-handed pitcher Wirkin Estevez.
Before coming to the T-Bones, the Dominican Republic native spent 2018 with the Harrisburg Senators, going 1-4 in 11 games with a 4.33 ERA and 41 strikeouts in 52 innings.
The 26-year-old Estevez was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. He signed with the Washington Nationals on June 2, 2010. In 2010, at 18 years old, he began his professional career with the Dominican Summer League Nationals, going 6-7 in 14 starts, with a 2.61 ERA and 95 strikeouts in 822?3 innings. He played the 2011 season with the A (short) Auburn Doubledays in the New York-Penn League where he had a 6-3 record and 4.01 ERA with 55 strikeouts in 671?3 innings. In 2012, Estevez pitched for both the GCL Nationals and the Hagerstown Suns with a combined record of 5-2, a 5.00 ERA and 59 strikeouts in 681?3 innings.
In 2014, Estevez pitched for the same two ball clubs, this time with a combined record of 0-2, a 6.93 ERA and 16 strikeouts in 24.2 innings. In 2016 Estevez was promoted to A Advanced Potomac in the Carolina League. While with the Nationals, he went 2-4 with a 5.03 ERA and 37 strikeouts in 59 innings. He spent the first half of 2017 with Potomac pitching in 11 games, with a 4-3 record and 3.88 ERA. On June 15th he was promoted to AA Harrisburg in the Eastern League. He finished the year going 4-1 with a 3.63 ERA and 36 strikeouts in 62 innings.
Barrett Astin has been moved to the disabled list. Astin, born in Forrest City, Arkansas, came to the T-Bones following a 2017 season where he played 69 games between AZL Reds and the AAA Louisville in the Cincinnati Reds organization. Astin last pitched in 2018 with the Louisville Bats of the AAA League. With the Bats, the Arkansas native appeared in 5 games, working 7.2 innings of relief with a 4.7 ERA with 5 strikeouts. With the T-Bones this season Astin has gone 8-3 with a 6.49 ERA. Astin began his professional career with the Milwaukee Brewers organization in 2013 after being drafted in the 3rd round.
The T-Bones start a four-game series with the Sioux City Explorers tonight at 7:05 pm at Mercy Field. The game will air on The T-Bones Broadcast Network and can be heard on T-Bones MixLR Channel and the MixLR app.
Individual tickets, season, group tickets, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium or 24/7 at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday. For additional information or interview requests, members of the media may contact the T-Bones Media Relations Department at (817) 739-3693. Visit www.tbonesbaseball.com and the T-Bones Facebook and Twitter pages to keep up-to-date on the latest news.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 9, 2018
- Saints Prove to be Men of Steele, Hold on for 7-5 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Walks Add up in Saltdogs Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- 4-run ninth inning not enough in 7-5 loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Win Third Straight Behind Seyler's Gem - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Stars Will Shine Brightest at CHS Field in 2019 as Saints to Host American Association All-Star Game - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Hosting Larry the Cable Guy for Git-R-Done Night - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Sign Right-Handed Pitcher Wirkin Estevez - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Finish off Sweep of Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Rally Comes up Short in Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- Cleburne Takes Rubber Match from Winnipeg in Ninth Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Three More Homers Lead Dogs to Series Victory over RedHawks - Chicago Dogs
- Wingnuts Turn Triple Play, Sweep Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wooten Pitches Saltdogs to Rubber Match Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Keury De La Cruz Crushes Two Homers in Loss to Dogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- KC Pins the Hogs 4-2 for Series Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Win Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City T-Bones Stories
- T-Bones Perio Jr Named Championship MVP
- T-Bones Win with a Grand Slam; Chance to Clinch Championship Title Saturday
- T-Bones Host American Association Championship Games
- T-Bones Return Home for Championship Series
- Saints Make T-Bones Suffer in Game 2 of Championship Series