KC Pins the Hogs 4-2 for Series Sweep
KANSAS CITY, Kan - On an eerie Wednesday night, The Kansas City T-Bones (49-26) pin the Texas AirHogs (19-57) 4-2 to complete the series sweep. The Hogs showed grit, but Hunter Adkins (6-3) showed no mercy, pitching eight scoreless innings, allowing only three hits, and one walk.
In the top of the first, Todd Cunningham and Colin Walsh hit back-to-back doubles to put the T-Bones up early. The offense looked poised for an explosive inning, but two quick outs by Noah Perio Jr. and Alay Lago limited Kansas City to one run. The T-Bones took an early 1-0 lead.
Runs were hard to come by for both teams Wednesday night as the T-Bones squandered away a promising third inning. Cunningham lead-off the inning advancing to first on a four-pitch walk. After Walsh was popped out in foul territory for the first out, Perio Jr. was hit by a pitch to put runners on first and second. Adrian Nieto forced another walk to leave the bases loaded with one out for Kansas City. The T-Bones looked to put this game out of reach from the AirHogs. Lago stepped up to the plate and popped up to the short-stop for the second out. Keith Curcio couldn't be the hero, popping up to the first basemen to stranding three runners and failing to score a run. The T-Bones grasped on to a 1-0 heading into the bottom of the third.
On a quite offensive night, the T-Bones were able to manufacture two runs in the seventh inning to push the lead to three. Two consecutive walks to start the inning by Ryan Brett and Cunningham set the stage for Kansas City. With Walsh up to bat, a double steal by Cunningham and Brett put runners at second and third for the T-Bones. Perio Jr. walked to load the bases, this time looking to take advantage of their opportunity. Nieto sliced a ball to the pitcher for a single to score Brett, putting Kansas City up 2-0. Lago hit a sacrifice fly sending Cunningham home to extend the lead to 3-0.
The T-Bones tacked on an insurance run in the eighth to extend the lead to 4-0, before the AirHogs late ninth inning rally. Han Xiao hit a double to start the Texas rally. One batter later, Correlle Prime poked a single to score Xiao from second to cut the Kansas City lead to 4-1. Jesse Baker stroked a single to score Prime, but Du Xiaoci was caught trying to sneak into third for the final out of the game.
Adkins near perfect performance earned him the win against the AirHogs. Nick Lee pitched one inning of relief, giving up two runs on three hits. Zhang Haonan (0-1) pitched well in his debut, tossing four innings allowing one run on two hits, but is credited as the losing pitcher for Texas.
Kansas City improves to 49-26 on the season, winning their third straight game taking a three-game lead on the Wichita Wingnuts (46-29) for second place in the South Division. The AirHogs fall to a league worst 19-57 on the season and 37 games back in the North Division. The T-Bones head into a decisive four-game series with the Sioux City Explores (56-19) looking to gain some ground for first place in the division. Kansas City and Sioux City are set to battle Thursday, August 9th at 7:05 pm in Iowa. The game be heard on the T-Bones Broadcast Network.
Season, group tickets, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium. Call the Box Office at 913-328-5618 or purchase and print at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday. For additional information or interview requests, members of the media may contact the T-Bones Media Relations Department at (817) 739-3693. Stay tuned to tbonesbaseball.com and the T-Bones Facebook and Twitter pages for updates throughout the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 9, 2018
- Saints Prove to be Men of Steele, Hold on for 7-5 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Walks Add up in Saltdogs Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- 4-run ninth inning not enough in 7-5 loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Win Third Straight Behind Seyler's Gem - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Stars Will Shine Brightest at CHS Field in 2019 as Saints to Host American Association All-Star Game - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Hosting Larry the Cable Guy for Git-R-Done Night - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Sign Right-Handed Pitcher Wirkin Estevez - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Finish off Sweep of Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Rally Comes up Short in Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- Cleburne Takes Rubber Match from Winnipeg in Ninth Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Three More Homers Lead Dogs to Series Victory over RedHawks - Chicago Dogs
- Wingnuts Turn Triple Play, Sweep Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wooten Pitches Saltdogs to Rubber Match Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Keury De La Cruz Crushes Two Homers in Loss to Dogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- KC Pins the Hogs 4-2 for Series Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Win Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City T-Bones Stories
- T-Bones Perio Jr Named Championship MVP
- T-Bones Win with a Grand Slam; Chance to Clinch Championship Title Saturday
- T-Bones Host American Association Championship Games
- T-Bones Return Home for Championship Series
- Saints Make T-Bones Suffer in Game 2 of Championship Series