Three More Homers Lead Dogs to Series Victory over RedHawks
Fargo, N.D. - The Dogs hit three home runs for a second straight game, and held on for a 9-8 victory over the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Wednesday night at Newman Outdoor Field to clinch their first road series victory in franchise history.
Chicago struck for three runs in the top of the first and three more in the top of the third to build a 6-0 lead Wednesday night.
The Dogs sent nine men to the plate in the first inning walking three times, and producing three hits including a two-run single from Stephen Perez.
Chicago turned to the long ball in the top of the third inning, as Treysen Vavra popped his second home run in as many nights, a solo home run off the right field foul pole. Two batters later, after a Joe Benson single, Dalton Blaser extended his hitting streak to eight games with a two-run home run.
RedHawks starter D.J. Brown was lifted from the game in the inning. Brown lasted just two and one-third innings Wednesday, allowing six runs on seven hits and three walks. Brown took the loss, dropping his season record to 8-2.
Fargo-Moorhead began their climb back with two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning and three runs in the bottom of the sixth.
After a Rubi Silva two-run home run made the score 8-2 in favor of Chicago in the top of the sixth, Chris Jacobs and Keury De La Cruz hit back-to-back home runs in the sixth to cut the Fargo-Moorhead deficit to 8-5.
The Dogs received a run of insurance in the top of the eighth inning thanks to an RBI single from Silva to score Kenny Wilson from second base.
After a Fargo-Moorhead run in the bottom of the eighth inning cut the Dogs lead to 9-6, Taylor Grover was called on to pitch the ninth inning for the Dogs.
De La Cruz hit his second homer of the game in the ninth for Fargo-Moorhead, a two-run shot to cut the Dogs lead to 9-8, but Grover induced a pop out from Charle Valerio to end the game and earn his eighth save of the year.
The Dogs move to 31-45 on the year with the victory, while the loss drops Fargo-Moorhead to 42-33 on the season.
After 13 games in a 13-day stretch, the Dogs will enjoy an off day Thursday before beginning a three-game series Friday against the Winnipeg Goldeyes at Impact Field.
Tickets to the series are available in line at the Impact Field Ticket Office and online at www.thechicagodogs.com/broadcasts/
Follow the team on social media at @TheChicagoDogs on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. For more information, visit TheChicagoDogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 9, 2018
- Saints Prove to be Men of Steele, Hold on for 7-5 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Walks Add up in Saltdogs Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- 4-run ninth inning not enough in 7-5 loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Win Third Straight Behind Seyler's Gem - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Stars Will Shine Brightest at CHS Field in 2019 as Saints to Host American Association All-Star Game - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Hosting Larry the Cable Guy for Git-R-Done Night - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Sign Right-Handed Pitcher Wirkin Estevez - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Finish off Sweep of Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Rally Comes up Short in Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- Cleburne Takes Rubber Match from Winnipeg in Ninth Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Three More Homers Lead Dogs to Series Victory over RedHawks - Chicago Dogs
- Wingnuts Turn Triple Play, Sweep Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wooten Pitches Saltdogs to Rubber Match Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Keury De La Cruz Crushes Two Homers in Loss to Dogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- KC Pins the Hogs 4-2 for Series Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Win Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer
- Torrez, Vavra Lead Chicago to 6-3 Win over St. Paul
- Dogs Spoil Strong Start from Simms, Lose 2-1