American Association Game Recaps
August 9, 2018 - American Association (AA) News Release
Sioux Falls 10, St. Paul 7 - Box Score
The Sioux Falls Canaries countered a five-run spurt in the top of the eighth with three of their own in the bottom of the inning to claim a 10-7 against the St. Paul Saints.
The Canaries entered the eighth inning leading 7-2, with both of St. Paul's earlier runs coming in the first inning. Two big swings tied the score at 7-7 though as DH Brady Shoemaker hit a three-run home run and 1B Nathaniel Maggio hit a two-run shot three batters later.
In the bottom of the inning, C Maxx Garrett was hit by a pitch in the leadoff spot and 2B Mitch Glasser (2-for-3) doubled in the next at-bat. Both scored moments later as Garrett took home on a wild pitch just before CF Jordan Smith hit a sac fly that plated Glasser. SS Jordan Dean (2-for-4) added an exclamation mark on the rally with a solo home run.
LF Jabari Henry added three RBI on the night as he went (2-for-4).
Chicago 9, Fargo-Moorhead 8 - Box Score
The Chicago Dogs built up an early led and held off a late push from the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks 9-8.
The Dogs kickstarted the game in the first inning as 2B Edwin Arroyo scored on a sac fly from DH Trey Vavra (2-for-4). SS Stephen Perez added a two-RBI single three batters later to take the 3-0 lead. Chicago doubled that lead in the third as Vavra hit a lead-off run and after a LF Joe Benson (2-for-3) singled, 1B Dalton Blaser hit a two-run shot. RF Rubi Silva (3-for-5) added a two-run home run in the sixth and pitched in a crucial insurance run with an RBI single in the eighth.
For the RedHawks, 2B Derrick Fox (2-for-4) scored on a wild pitch in the fifth inning and DH Maikol Gonzalez (2-for-5) singled home a run in the same at-bat. 1B Chris Jacobs and RF Keury De La Cruz (3-for-5) hit back-to-back home runs in the sixth.
De La Cruz hit a second homer in the ninth to pull within a run but C Charlie Valerio was retired in the next at-bat, ending the game.
Kansas City 4, Texas 2 - Box Score
The Kansas City T-Bones turned five hits into four runs as they edged the Texas AirHogs 4-2.
The T-Bones struck first in the bottom of the opening frame as 3B Colin Walsh (2-for-5) doubled in CF Todd Cunningham (2-for-3) and they added two more runs in the seventh as 1B Adrian Nieto hit an RBI single and DH Alay Lago's sac fly plated Cunningham. In the eighth, LF Keith Curcio scored as 2B Ryan Brett drew a bases-loaded walk.
In the ninth, the AirHogs rallied for a pair of runs to cut the lead in half. DH Correlle Prime (2-for-4) hit an RBI single and he scored when C Jesse Baker singled with two outs but 2B Du Xiaoci was thrown out later on the same play to end the game.
Starting pitcher Hunter Adkins tossed eight shutout innings in the win and allowed just three hits while striking out six batters.
Cleburne 12, Winnipeg 7 - Box Score
The Cleburne Railroaders used a big ninth inning to move past the Winnipeg Goldeyes 12-7.
The Railroaders jumped out to an early 7-0 lead but in the bottom of the seventh inning the Goldeyes tied things up at 7-7. The Railroaders regained control off the night in the top of ninth as they sent 11 batters to the plate and scored five game-changing runs. 3B Patrick Palmeiro (2-for-5) scored the first run of the rally when C Michael Gulino (2-for-4) singled and took second on an error.
LF Alex Polston scored in the next at-bat on a single from CF KC Huth and Gulino scored two batters later on an error. Huth scored when 1B Levi Scott (3-for-5) doubled and 2B Trevor Sealey (3-for-6) capped the rally as he scored on a single from DH Rafael Palmeiro (3-for-5).
For the Goldeyes, four different batters each had two hits and 3B Josh Mazzola and CF Reggie Abercrombie both homered.
Wichita 10, Sioux City 5 - Box Score
The Wichita Wingnuts doubled up the Sioux City Explorers 10-5 on Wednesday evening.
For the Wingnuts, SS Leo Vargas had a team-high four hits in five at-bats and scored a pair of runs. LF Tony Thomas went 3-for-5 with four RBIs including his 19th home run of season. 2B Logan Watkins also had three hits with an RBI and two runs scored. CF Zach Nehrir went 2-for-4 with three runs scored and an RBI.
For Sioux City, 1B Dexture McCall went 3-for-4 with three RBIs and DH Blake Schmit went 2-for-4 with two runs scored.
Lincoln 5, Gary SouthShore 1 - Box Score
The Lincoln Saltdogs took care of the Gary SouthShore RailCats 5-1 thanks to a gem from starting pitcher Eric Wooten.
Wooten tossed 8.1 innings and gave up just one run on five hits while striking out six batters. Wooten earned his second win on the season with his longest outing of 2018. The RailCats only run came in the bottom of the ninth inning when RF Colin Willis scored on a sac fly from DH Ronnie Mitchell.
For the Saltdogs, 3B Christian Ibarra hit a three-run home run in the top of the fifth inning and he added a sac fly in the ninth that plated SS Ivan Marin (2-for-3). LF Brandon Jacobs, who went 2-for-5 on the day, doubled home CF Alex Glenn (2-for-4) in the seventh.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 9, 2018
- Saints Prove to be Men of Steele, Hold on for 7-5 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Walks Add up in Saltdogs Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- 4-run ninth inning not enough in 7-5 loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Win Third Straight Behind Seyler's Gem - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Stars Will Shine Brightest at CHS Field in 2019 as Saints to Host American Association All-Star Game - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Hosting Larry the Cable Guy for Git-R-Done Night - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Sign Right-Handed Pitcher Wirkin Estevez - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Finish off Sweep of Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Rally Comes up Short in Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- Cleburne Takes Rubber Match from Winnipeg in Ninth Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Three More Homers Lead Dogs to Series Victory over RedHawks - Chicago Dogs
- Wingnuts Turn Triple Play, Sweep Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wooten Pitches Saltdogs to Rubber Match Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Keury De La Cruz Crushes Two Homers in Loss to Dogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- KC Pins the Hogs 4-2 for Series Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Win Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.