Wingnuts Finish off Sweep of Explorers
Sioux City, IA - The Wichita Wingnuts became the first team to sweep the Sioux City Explorers as they finished off a three game series with a 10-5 win.
The Wingnuts started fast tonight as they scored three runs in each of the first two innings. In the first after a lead off strike out the next four hitters reached. Tony Thomas had a 2 run double and Chase Simpson chipped in a RBI with a sacrifice fly to left.
In the second Wichita got a one out single by Leo Vargas, a back to back RBI doubles by Logan Watkins and Zach Nehrir with Nehrir scoring on a RBI single by the Angel Reyes chased him home to make it 6-0 Wichita after two innings.
Sioux City was able to load the bases with no one out in the fourth inning. But they would hit into an inning ending triple play. Blake Schmit hit into a 4-6-3 double play, Nate Samson would score on the play and then Jose Sermo was picked off of third base to finish off the play and the inning with Wichita leading 6-1.
Tony Thomas though would lead off the next inning for Wichita with a solo home run, his league leading 19th of the season.
Sioux City would make things interesting in the sixth. Samson would get a one out walk, Jay Baum would follow with a two out walk. Schmit drove in Samson with a single and Dexture McCall tripled to right center field bringing home two runs. The Explorers were able to get back into the ball game trailing Wichita just 7-4.
Wichita though would put the game out of reach in the eighth as Leo Vargas singled to give himself a four hit night. Logan Watkins singled as well as he had three hits in all three games. Nehrir was then hit by a pitch to load the bases. Abel Nieves was walked to bring in a run. Angel Reyes grounded into a fielders choice to bring in another run and Tony Thomas picked up an RBI single to make it 10-4 Wichita.
The Explorers added a run in the bottom half of the eighth as Blake Schmit doubled and was brought home by a Dexture McCall single to make it 10-5 Wichita.
The loss made it the first time this season that Sioux City had been swept in a series and the first time that the X's had lost three consecutive games in the 2018 season.
The Explorers will try to get back to winning on Thursday as Kansas City comes to town for the start of a four game series against the T-Bones who are 6.5 games behind the Explorers in the Souther Division standings.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 9, 2018
- Saints Prove to be Men of Steele, Hold on for 7-5 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Walks Add up in Saltdogs Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- 4-run ninth inning not enough in 7-5 loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Win Third Straight Behind Seyler's Gem - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Stars Will Shine Brightest at CHS Field in 2019 as Saints to Host American Association All-Star Game - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Hosting Larry the Cable Guy for Git-R-Done Night - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Sign Right-Handed Pitcher Wirkin Estevez - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Finish off Sweep of Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Rally Comes up Short in Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- Cleburne Takes Rubber Match from Winnipeg in Ninth Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Three More Homers Lead Dogs to Series Victory over RedHawks - Chicago Dogs
- Wingnuts Turn Triple Play, Sweep Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wooten Pitches Saltdogs to Rubber Match Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Keury De La Cruz Crushes Two Homers in Loss to Dogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- KC Pins the Hogs 4-2 for Series Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Win Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.