AirHogs Rally Comes up Short in Kansas City
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - The Texas AirHogs completed their series in Kansas City with a 4-2 loss Wednesday evening. The team rallied from a 4-0 deficit in the ninth, scoring twice before the comeback fell short. Texas travels to Lincoln for a four-game series Thursday through Sunday.
Zhang Haonan (0-1) stranded six baserunners in his first ever American Association start, limiting the T-Bones to one run over four innings. The 19-year-old allowed just two hits on 64 pitches. Fellow 19-year-old Liu Guoqing posted scoreless frames in the fifth and sixth after entering in relief to keep Texas in the game.
The AirHogs managed a pair of hits early vs. T-Bones starter Hunter Adkins (6-3) but would pick up just one hit from the third through the eighth. Adkins shutout the AirHogs for the third straight start and has now gone 21 innings without allowing a run to Texas. He struck out six and walked just one over his eight innings in the ballgame.
The T-Bones got to relievers Conner Camacho and Meng Xing for three runs in the seventh and eighth to extend their lead to 4-0.
The AirHogs rallied late but fell short of equalizing the 4-0 deficit. Han Xiao led the ninth off vs. lefty Nick Lee with his second hit of the game, a double to left field. Correlle Prime followed with his second hit of the game, a two-out RBI single to make it 4-1. Pinch hitter Du Xiaoci then drew a walk, bringing Jesse Baker to the dish. Baker singled home Prime, but the contest ended when Du was caught moving first to third on the sequence.
AirHogs pitching walked 10 in the game but was able to limit the damage by stranding 11 men aboard. The AirHogs outhit the T-Bones (49-26) for the second straight night, this time by a margin of 6-5. The T-Bones were led by Todd Cunningham, who finished with two hits and two runs. He reached five times.
Texas (19-56) travels to Lincoln (35-40) for a four-game series starting tomorrow at 6:45. Starters for both team are TBA. A live broadcast of the game will be available at mixlr.com/TXAirHogs.
The Texas AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles will return home August 14 vs. Cleburne. Tickets for all home games are available. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter and Facebook @TXAirHogs. Media inquiries: email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 9, 2018
- Saints Prove to be Men of Steele, Hold on for 7-5 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Walks Add up in Saltdogs Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- 4-run ninth inning not enough in 7-5 loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Win Third Straight Behind Seyler's Gem - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Stars Will Shine Brightest at CHS Field in 2019 as Saints to Host American Association All-Star Game - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Hosting Larry the Cable Guy for Git-R-Done Night - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Sign Right-Handed Pitcher Wirkin Estevez - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Finish off Sweep of Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Rally Comes up Short in Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- Cleburne Takes Rubber Match from Winnipeg in Ninth Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Three More Homers Lead Dogs to Series Victory over RedHawks - Chicago Dogs
- Wingnuts Turn Triple Play, Sweep Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wooten Pitches Saltdogs to Rubber Match Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Keury De La Cruz Crushes Two Homers in Loss to Dogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- KC Pins the Hogs 4-2 for Series Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Win Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.