Cleburne Takes Rubber Match from Winnipeg in Ninth Inning Rally
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes fell 12-7 in the rubber match against the Cleburne Railroaders at Shaw Park on Wednesday evening.
Tied 7-7 heading into the ninth, the Railroaders rallied for five unanswered runs to win the game. Patrick Palmeiro started off the inning, reaching first on an error by Josh Mazzola. After Victor Capellan walked Alex Polston, Michael Gulino batted in Palmeiro on an RBI single. KC Huth and Rafael Palmeiro also hit RBI singles. A sinking line drive by Trevor Sealey scored Guilino on an error charged to Dexter Kjerstad, and Levi Scott was awarded a ground rule RBI double when the ball hit the warning track and bounced out of play.
The Fish had scored three runs to tie the game in the seventh. Josh Romanski fired a triple to the left field corner, scoring Matt McCann from first. Cleburne left-hander Will Mathis replaced starting pitcher Jared Mortensen to face Reggie Abercrombie. On the first pitch, Abercrombie hit a two-run opposite field homer to the right. Goldeyes defence helped Brennan Bernardino escape the top of the seventh unscathed after a bases loaded, one-out situation. KC Huth grounded a ball to third, Mazzola threw to second for one, and Tucker Nathans threw to first-baseman Josh McAdams in time to turn the double play.
Cleburne got off to an early lead, scoring the first seven runs of the game. In the first, Rafael Palmeiro opened scoring with an RBI single. Patrick Palmeiro hit an RBI single in the fourth, giving the Railroaders a 2-0 lead. Rafael Palmeiro beat out a throw to home plate to score off a single by Gulino. On a nine-pitch at bat against Goldeyes starting pitcher JC Sulbaran, Angel Rosa hit a two-out, two-run double to centrefield. Sealey finished off the inning by homering off the left field foul pole, scoring two RBI.
In the bottom frame, McAdams hit a leadoff double that one-hopped off the centrefield wall. Nathans hit an equally powerful double to centre, scoring McAdams. Mazzola followed up a two-run bomb out to left centrefield, hitting his 13thhomerun of the year.
In the sixth McAdams singled, advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on a sacrifice fly by Mazzola.
Brandon Bingel worked his way through 2 and a third scoreless innings in long relief of Sulbaran. Sulbaran took a no-decision, allowing seven runs (five unearned) over three and two-third innings. Edwin Carl and PJ Browne also pitched scoreless relief appearances. Capellan took the loss for the Goldeyes, allowing five runs (one earned) over a third of an inning. Patrick Young earned the win in relief for the Railroaders.
The Goldeyes now hit the road, playing next on Friday, August 10thagainst the Chicago Dogs. The Fish arrive back at Shaw Park on August 1th, when they host the Sioux City Explorers for the first time this season. Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes or visiting the box office at Shaw Park.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 9, 2018
- Saints Prove to be Men of Steele, Hold on for 7-5 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Walks Add up in Saltdogs Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- 4-run ninth inning not enough in 7-5 loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Win Third Straight Behind Seyler's Gem - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Stars Will Shine Brightest at CHS Field in 2019 as Saints to Host American Association All-Star Game - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Hosting Larry the Cable Guy for Git-R-Done Night - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Sign Right-Handed Pitcher Wirkin Estevez - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Finish off Sweep of Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Rally Comes up Short in Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- Cleburne Takes Rubber Match from Winnipeg in Ninth Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Three More Homers Lead Dogs to Series Victory over RedHawks - Chicago Dogs
- Wingnuts Turn Triple Play, Sweep Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wooten Pitches Saltdogs to Rubber Match Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Keury De La Cruz Crushes Two Homers in Loss to Dogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- KC Pins the Hogs 4-2 for Series Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Win Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Goldeyes Announce Transactions
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints
- Charleston Breaks Appearances Record, Goldeyes Edged Late
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park