Vargas Named International League Postseason All-Star
ROCHESTER, NY - Rochester Red Wings first baseman Kennys Vargas has been named the designated hitter on the International League Postseason All-Star Team, the league office announced today.
Vargas is batting .234/.322/.415 with 19 doubles, 20 home runs, 67 RBI, 38 runs scored, 55 walks and 127 strikeouts in 122 games with Rochester this season. He is third in the league in home runs and his 50 career homers as a Red Wing are second during the Twins era behind only Garrett Jones (81). Vargas is the team leader in hits, doubles, homers RBI, runs and walks. He has 26 multi-hit games, one multi-homer game and 17 multi-RBI games, including a two homer, six RBI game in game one on May 25 vs. Buffalo. Vargas has been on a roll lately, batting .396 (19-for-48) with five doubles, five homers, 16 RBI and seven runs scored in his last 13 games since August 14. Over that period, he leads the IL in RBI, slugging (.813) and OPS (1.285) while tying for the lead in home runs. He is the first Red Wing to be named the DH on the Postseason All-Star Team since Willis Otanez in 1998 and fourth since the current ballot format began in 1978.
This marks Vargas' third end-of-season All-Star selection, joining 2013 with Single-A Ft. Myers (Florida State League) and 2010 with the GCL Twins (Gulf Coast League).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 28, 2018
- Bisons Swept by Red Wings at Frontier Field - Buffalo Bisons
- Hens Continue Playoff Push with Win at Indy - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Sweep Herd in Tuesday Twinbill - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Slip vs. Chiefs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Suffer 7-6 Loss to Clippers - Louisville Bats
- Knights Fall to Bulls 4-3 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Wright, Vazquez Rehab in Pawtucket's 9-3 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toussaint Stays Unbeaten with 5-2 Stripers Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Mash 17 Hits in 10-2 Win over RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Take Opener against PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Clippers' Take Series Opener in Comeback Fashion - Columbus Clippers
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-63) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (68-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Newman, Kramer Elected as IL Postseason All-Stars - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Bisons C Danny Jansen Named International League Post Season All-Star - Buffalo Bisons
- Vargas Named International League Postseason All-Star - Rochester Red Wings
- International League Announces 2018 Award Winners and All-Stars - IL
- Kean Wong Named I.L. Postseason All-Star - Durham Bulls
- Pigs Sweep Major IL Postseason Awards - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 28 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester, DH (5:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Riding the Wave to Pittsburgh - Indianapolis Indians
- Clippers Salvage Series with Huge Win - Columbus Clippers
- 2019 Durham Bulls Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- A Note from the Red Wings
- "Grab a Seat" at Frontier Field with Fan Cutout Pack
- Red Wings 2020 Season Cancelled
- City of Rochester Mayor Warren Announces ROC'N Drive-In, Partnership with MVP Health Care, Rochester Red Wings and the Cinema Theater
- Red Wings to Host Dinner on the Diamond