RailRiders Slip vs. Chiefs
MOOSIC, PA. (Aug. 28, 2018) - Gary Sanchez delivered his second home run in two days, but the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders fell to the Syracuse Chiefs 10-2 on Tuesday night at PNC Field.
Syracuse took the lead in the top of the first on an unearned run against Adonis Rosa. Matt Reynolds reached on a one-out error and advanced to second on a wild pitch. A base hit from Jacob Wilson plated Reynolds and gave the Chiefs a 1-0 advantage.
The RailRiders tied it up quickly in the bottom of the first when Tyler Wade drew a leadoff walk and was chased home on an opposite-field double from Gio Urshela. The SWB third baseman finished 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
The Chiefs jumped back on top in the bottom of the second when they scored four runs against Rosa, led by a three-run home run from Victor Robles. They extended their lead to 6-1 in the top of the third when Moises Sierra doubled and scored on an error.
Rosa (2-1) allowed three more tallies in the top of the sixth before being removed from the game with two outs in the frame. The right-hander's final line consisted of nine runs (five earned) on 9 hits, one walk and four strikeouts. David Sosebee relieved Rosa and allowed two inherited runners to score and a run of his own as Syracuse opened up a 10-1 lead.
With one out in the bottom of the sixth, Gary Sanchez blasted a solo home run to right field against Austin Voth to close the deficit to 10-2. It was the second home run in as many games for the MLB rehabber, who has four round-trippers with the RailRiders in two separate stints.
Brady Lail turned in two scoreless innings out of the RailRiders bullpen to hold the score, but the Chiefs bullpen was able to stop any SWB rally in its tracks and hang on for the victory.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre continues its series with Syracuse on Wednesday night at PNC Field. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. The RailRiders send right-hander Mike King (3-0, 1.33) to the mound, while the Chiefs counter with righty Kyle McGowin (2-2, 1.33). For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-2255 or slide towww.swbrailriders.com.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 28, 2018
- Bisons Swept by Red Wings at Frontier Field - Buffalo Bisons
- Hens Continue Playoff Push with Win at Indy - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Sweep Herd in Tuesday Twinbill - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Slip vs. Chiefs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Suffer 7-6 Loss to Clippers - Louisville Bats
- Knights Fall to Bulls 4-3 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Wright, Vazquez Rehab in Pawtucket's 9-3 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toussaint Stays Unbeaten with 5-2 Stripers Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Mash 17 Hits in 10-2 Win over RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Take Opener against PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Clippers' Take Series Opener in Comeback Fashion - Columbus Clippers
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-63) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (68-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Newman, Kramer Elected as IL Postseason All-Stars - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Bisons C Danny Jansen Named International League Post Season All-Star - Buffalo Bisons
- Vargas Named International League Postseason All-Star - Rochester Red Wings
- International League Announces 2018 Award Winners and All-Stars - IL
- Kean Wong Named I.L. Postseason All-Star - Durham Bulls
- Pigs Sweep Major IL Postseason Awards - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 28 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester, DH (5:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Riding the Wave to Pittsburgh - Indianapolis Indians
- Clippers Salvage Series with Huge Win - Columbus Clippers
- 2019 Durham Bulls Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns
- RailRiders Front Office Is Temporarily Closed