Kean Wong Named I.L. Postseason All-Star
DURHAM, NC - The International League announced today Durham Bulls utility player Kean Wong was named to the circuit's postseason All-Star team.
The 23-year-old, who was named to the All-Star team as a utility player, ranks 10th in the International League in batting average (.284), ninth in runs scored (61) and 11th in on-base percentage (.349). Selected as an I.L. Midseason All-Star, Wong took home Triple-A All-Star Game Top Star honors when he tallied three hits (two doubles) and two RBI as the I.L. fell to the Pacific Coast League in the annual matchup.
The native of Hilo, Hawaii reached base safely in 30 consecutive games from June 12 to July 18, and has not gone more than two consecutive games without reaching base safely this season. Additionally, the younger brother of St. Louis Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong has tallied three separate hitting streaks of at least eight games this year.
Wong has also showed his defensive versatility throughout the season, starting 69 games at second base, 22 in left field, 12 at third base and two in center field. Prior to the 2018 season, the Rays' 4th-round draft pick in 2013 had never played a position other than second base or third base.
The 5-11, 190-pounder is the first Bull to earn I.L. Postseason All-Star honors since Taylor Motter did so in 2015, and is the 27th Durham player named to the team since the franchise joined the circuit in 1998.
The Bulls return to the DBAP for the regular season's final four games on Friday, Aug. 31. Tickets are available or by calling the Frontier Communications Box Office at 919.956.BULL.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 28, 2018
- Bisons Swept by Red Wings at Frontier Field - Buffalo Bisons
- Hens Continue Playoff Push with Win at Indy - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Sweep Herd in Tuesday Twinbill - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Slip vs. Chiefs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Suffer 7-6 Loss to Clippers - Louisville Bats
- Knights Fall to Bulls 4-3 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Wright, Vazquez Rehab in Pawtucket's 9-3 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toussaint Stays Unbeaten with 5-2 Stripers Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Mash 17 Hits in 10-2 Win over RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Take Opener against PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Clippers' Take Series Opener in Comeback Fashion - Columbus Clippers
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-63) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (68-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Newman, Kramer Elected as IL Postseason All-Stars - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Bisons C Danny Jansen Named International League Post Season All-Star - Buffalo Bisons
- Vargas Named International League Postseason All-Star - Rochester Red Wings
- International League Announces 2018 Award Winners and All-Stars - IL
- Kean Wong Named I.L. Postseason All-Star - Durham Bulls
- Pigs Sweep Major IL Postseason Awards - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 28 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester, DH (5:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Riding the Wave to Pittsburgh - Indianapolis Indians
- Clippers Salvage Series with Huge Win - Columbus Clippers
- 2019 Durham Bulls Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.