Pigs Take Opener against PawSox
The IronPigs scored six runs in the top of the ninth inning to take game one 9-3 up at McCoy Field. Eight of the nine IronPigs in the starting lineup had hits in the ball game for Leigh Valley and six drove in a run.
Ranger Suarez went 6 1/3 innings in the outing for the IronPigs. He did not earn a decision in the start but only surrendered three runs, two earned. Suarez has not lost a minor league start since June 13th when he was in AA. In the nine starts since his last loss, Suarez is 4-0 and has allowed three runs or less in eight of them.
Pawtucket got out to an early lead against Suarez in the bottom of the first taking a 1-0 lead. The teams traded runs in the third inning with the Pigs getting on the board with RBI double by Logan Moore. But the PawSox still led after breaking the tie in the bottom half.
Trailing the bottom of the fourth, Mitch Walding singled to center to score Joey Meneses and tie the game at two. Walding finished the game with a pair of hits; his first multi hit game since August 21st.
JP Crawford continued to swing a clutch bat for the IronPigs breaking ties twice in the game. In the top of the seventh, Crawford singled to score Dean Anna to make it 3-2 Lehigh Valley. Tied again the ninth, Crawford worked a bases loaded walk to give the IronPigs a 4-3 lead against Marcus Walden (0-4).
Lehigh Valley got some extra insurance against the Pawtucket bullpen in the ninth. After the Crawford walk, Pedro Florimon flared a two-run single to center field to give the IronPigs a three run lead. Lehigh Valley would go on to score six runs in the inning. Dylan Cozens, Aaron Altherr and Walding all had RBIs for the IronPigs after the Florimon single.
Ben Lively (3-2) retuned to the mound for IronPigs for the first time since June 20th. Pitching in relief, Leively tossed two-scoreless innings to earn the win and close out the ball game. He struck out three and allowed one hit for Lehigh Valley.
The first IronPigs will return to Coca-Cola Park on Friday, September 7 for game three of the IL-Divisional Round.
The 2018 Season is the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, go to IronPigsBaseball.com or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 28, 2018
- Bisons Swept by Red Wings at Frontier Field - Buffalo Bisons
- Hens Continue Playoff Push with Win at Indy - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Sweep Herd in Tuesday Twinbill - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Slip vs. Chiefs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Suffer 7-6 Loss to Clippers - Louisville Bats
- Knights Fall to Bulls 4-3 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Wright, Vazquez Rehab in Pawtucket's 9-3 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toussaint Stays Unbeaten with 5-2 Stripers Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Mash 17 Hits in 10-2 Win over RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Take Opener against PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Clippers' Take Series Opener in Comeback Fashion - Columbus Clippers
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-63) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (68-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Newman, Kramer Elected as IL Postseason All-Stars - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Bisons C Danny Jansen Named International League Post Season All-Star - Buffalo Bisons
- Vargas Named International League Postseason All-Star - Rochester Red Wings
- International League Announces 2018 Award Winners and All-Stars - IL
- Kean Wong Named I.L. Postseason All-Star - Durham Bulls
- Pigs Sweep Major IL Postseason Awards - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 28 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester, DH (5:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Riding the Wave to Pittsburgh - Indianapolis Indians
- Clippers Salvage Series with Huge Win - Columbus Clippers
- 2019 Durham Bulls Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Service Electric Network to Televise Phillies Taxi Squad Games
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs 2020 Season Is Canceled
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6