Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis Indians, in conjunction with the International League, today announced infielder Jose Osuna as the IL Player of the Week for the week of Aug. 20-26. The award is the first weekly honor of Osuna's nine-year professional career.
The 25-year-old hit a robust .478 (11-for-23) with three home runs, nine RBI, four runs scored and a 1.370 OPS in six games against Columbus and Louisville this past week. He hit safely in all six contests and had four multi-hit performances, including three consecutive two-hit games over the weekend vs. the Bats. The Venezuelan ranked among league leaders for the week in RBI (T-1st), slugging percentage (2nd, .870), hits (T-2nd), homers (T-2nd), OPS (3rd) and average (5th).
Osuna is batting .325 (92-for-283) with eight homers, 26 doubles, 58 RBI and an .883 OPS in 77 games for the Tribe this season. He last hit north of .300 for a season back in 2011 between the GCL Pirates and Short-Season A State College.
Indy now has six Pitcher/Player of the Week Awards in 2018, tied with Columbus and Lehigh Valley for most in the IL. Nick Kingham won the IL Pitcher of the Week Award on April 16 and June 18, Kevin Newman was named IL Player of the Week on May 14, Brandon Waddell won the IL Pitcher of the Week Award on July 16 and J.T. Brubaker was the IL Pitcher of the Week on Aug. 6.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 28, 2018
- Bisons Swept by Red Wings at Frontier Field - Buffalo Bisons
- Hens Continue Playoff Push with Win at Indy - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Sweep Herd in Tuesday Twinbill - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Slip vs. Chiefs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Suffer 7-6 Loss to Clippers - Louisville Bats
- Knights Fall to Bulls 4-3 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Wright, Vazquez Rehab in Pawtucket's 9-3 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toussaint Stays Unbeaten with 5-2 Stripers Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chiefs Mash 17 Hits in 10-2 Win over RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Take Opener against PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Clippers' Take Series Opener in Comeback Fashion - Columbus Clippers
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-63) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (68-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Newman, Kramer Elected as IL Postseason All-Stars - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Bisons C Danny Jansen Named International League Post Season All-Star - Buffalo Bisons
- Vargas Named International League Postseason All-Star - Rochester Red Wings
- International League Announces 2018 Award Winners and All-Stars - IL
- Kean Wong Named I.L. Postseason All-Star - Durham Bulls
- Pigs Sweep Major IL Postseason Awards - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 28 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester, DH (5:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Riding the Wave to Pittsburgh - Indianapolis Indians
- Clippers Salvage Series with Huge Win - Columbus Clippers
- 2019 Durham Bulls Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Former Tribe Third Baseman Ke'Bryan Hayes Named to Baseball America's MLB All-Rookie Team
- Indianapolis Indians Charities Golf Outing Recap
- This Date in Indians History - September
- Special Olympics Indiana 2020 State Softball Championship Games Coming to Victory Field
- Five MLB Playoff Teams Feature Former Indianapolis Indians