Tip-A-Condor raises nearly $17,000
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The 9th Annual Tip-A-Condor Dinner and Auction, sponsored by KUZZ 107.9, took place Tuesday night at the Buck Owens' Crystal Palace, raising $16,746 for the Kern County Shrine Club, the second most in Condors history. Over the past nine years, Tip-A-Condor has brought in more than $111,000!
The night began with drinks and dinner served to more than 350 fans in attendance by the Condors players. "I might have a future in waiting tables after I retire from hockey," said Condors leading scorer Dave Bonk. Condors players waited the tables for charitable tips that added up to more than $1,800 alone.
Following the dinner, Condors players flooded the stage to test out their vocal cords in a few rounds of karaoke, for the right price of course. Many fans remarked that their favorite part of the evening was when the entire team gathered to sing "Sweet Caroline," as well as the dance-off that ensued between Tylor Michel, Jason Bailey and Mike Wirll.
After the karaoke, a live auction capped off the night's charitable contributions. A game-worn, team-signed Dave McKee goalie mask fetched $1,500 - the second-highest item of the night - but that was trumped by the Sean Venedam jersey chair which, following a high-stakes bidding war, went for a whopping $4,000! The Condors also auctioned off game-worn gear, memorabilia from other professional teams, as well as unique opportunities such as golf and dinner with the Condors, getting behind the mic to help announce a Condors game and three hours with Jay Langager and Liam Huculak.
"The night was awesome," said Shriner's President Mike Goodwin. "I didn't get a chance to go on stage to thank everybody, but I want to thank the fans and the Condors for making this happen."
The funds raised during the evening will go to help pay medical expenses of crippled or burned children as well as purchase items such as wheelchairs and walkers.
Notes from The Nest:
The Condors return to the Mercy and Memorial Hospitals Home Ice at Rabobank Arena for Free Jersey Weekend on tonight and Saturday, both against the Utah Grizzlies. Tonight is the #10 Matt Pope Youth Replica Jersey Giveaway, sponsored by KGET-TV 17, La Preciosa 105.3 and McDonald's. The first 2,000 kids, 12-and-under, will receive a youth jersey of the Condors rookie sniper!
Then on Saturday its the 'What Could Have Been' Jersey Off Our Backs Raffle and Auction, sponsored by KUZZ 107.9 and Bud Light. Game-worn Bakersfield Brontos jerseys will be auctioned off after the game and five jerseys will be raffled off for free. The Brontos was a finalist for the team name along with the "Condors" 11 years ago when the team was renamed. All proceeds from the jersey auction will be donated to Petroleum Shrine Club. Doors open at 6 p.m., puck drops at 7 p.m. both nights.
Individual game tickets are on sale and may be purchased through the Rabobank Arena Box Office, which is open from 10am - 6pm Monday through Friday and 10am - 4pm on Saturday with extended hours on game days. Tickets may also be purchased by phone through at 322-2525, online at www.bakersfieldcondors.com, or at any Ticketmaster location.
Enjoy Condors hockey with a group of friends, family or coworkers, stop by the Condors office at 1001 Truxtun Ave. or call 324-PUCK (7825) to organize your outing today.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2009
- Blades fall in overtime to Sea Wolves, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Chiefs storm past Cyclones - Johnstown Chiefs
- Melanson the hero as Sea Wolves beat Everblades - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bombers Shut Out By Elmira - Dayton Bombers
- Reimer Solid In First Stingray Start, Leads Rays to 6-4 Win Over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Teslak Shuts Out Bombers 3-0 - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Control Pace in Win Over Royals, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- Johnstown Takes 5-2 Verdict From Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators fall to Stingrays, 6-4 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wranglers Game Day - Las Vegas Wranglers
- RoadRunners Acquire Rutherford, Corsi and Deeth From Charlotte - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Acquire Steve Ward From Reading - Reading Royals
- Checkers Make Trade For All-Star Blueliner Ward - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Branham Returned From Worcester - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Sign Gentile - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign At Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- RoadRunners Acquire Chase Trull From Mississippi - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Zaba Named Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender Of The Month - ECHL
- Tip-A-Condor raises nearly $17,000 - Bakersfield Condors
- Panthers' Vokoun Named MeiGray Group Alumnus Of The Month - ECHL
- Nailers Game Used Jersey Auction Going On Now - Wheeling Nailers
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Utah Grizzlies - Bakersfield Condors
- Checkers Sign Michigan State Leading Scorer Schepke - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Rays Host Gwinnett Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hart Returns From Bridgeport; Mole, Sixsmith Departs - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Add Goalie Reimer - South Carolina Stingrays
- James Reimer Recalled to Toronto - Reading Royals
- Roy re-assigned to Blades from Albany - Florida Everblades
- Tip-A-Grizz Monday At Ruby Tuesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Bombers in Action This Weekend - Dayton Bombers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bakersfield Condors Stories
- Condors Open Training Camp on Monday, January 25
- Reminder: Teddy Bear Toss Drive Thru this Saturday 10am-2pm
- Teddy Bear Toss Drive Thru Saturday November 28
- Condors Season to Start February 5
- Enter to Win 2 Tix to Every Arena Event in 2021 with a COVID-19 Test