RoadRunners Acquire Rutherford, Corsi and Deeth From Charlotte
PHOENIX, Ariz. - The Phoenix RoadRunners of the ECHL, a proud affiliate of the San Jose Sharks and the Worcester Sharks, announced today the acquisition of rookie forwards David Rutherford and Peter-James Corsi and defenseman Brian Deeth from the Charlotte Checkers in exchange for defenseman Steve Ward and future considerations.
Rutherford, 21, ranked second among Charlotte rookies with 13 goals and 26 points and amassed 89 penalty minutes in 52 games. The Ladner, British Columbia native signed as a rookie free agent after guiding the Spokane Chiefs of the Western Hockey League to the 2008 Memorial Cup Championship with 22 goals and 43 points in 52 regular season games and nine goals and 18 points in 21 post-season contests. Rutherford collected 57 goals, 111 points, and 242 penalty minutes in 163 WHL games between Spokane and the Vancouver Giants, and 27 goals and 59 points in 54 games with Chilliwack and Surrey of the British Columbia Junior Hockey League.
Corsi, 20, registered nine goals and 23 points in 41 games with the Checkers. The Montreal, Quebec native ranked third in scoring in 2007-08 as a member of the Halifax Mooseheads of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with 31 goals and 70 points and led the team with 116 penalty minutes. Corsi paced the Mooseheads in the 2008 QMJHL playoffs with eight goals and 19 points in 15 post-season games.
Deeth, 23, has three goals and 10 points in 40 games this season between the Checkers and Johnstown Chiefs. Acquired by Charlotte on Nov. 26 to complete a previous trade for former RoadRunners' center Wes Clark, Deeth finished third among Chiefs defensemen in scoring last season with six goals and 29 points in 69 games. The Gig Harbor, Wash. native and second-year professional totaled five goals, eight assists, and 13 points in 84 games during a four-year collegiate career at NCAA Division I Northeastern University.
Rutherford, Corsi, and Deeth are all expected to be in the RoadRunners' line-up Saturday at Alaska. The RoadRunners acquired Ward from the Royals in an earlier trade this afternoon. Ward has six goals and 25 points in 39 games this season and is currently on loan to the Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League.
In a separate transaction, the RoadRunners have signed veteran defenseman Chris Newans. Newans has skated in 527 career games with 162 goals, 309 assists, 471 points, and 1,925 penalty minutes to his credit. The Summerside, Prince Edward Island native and 15-year veteran last played professionally in 2005-06 appearing in 14 games with the Tulsa Oilers of the Central Hockey League.
The RoadRunners continue a five-game trip and a stretch of 12 out of their final 15 games on the road at 8:15 p.m. Friday with the second of four games in five nights against the Alaska Aces at Sullivan Arena in Anchorage. Catch all the action live on Independent 1310 KXAM beginning with "RoadRunners Countdown" at 8:00 p.m.
Phoenix returns to US Airways Center at 7:05 p.m. Thursday, March 19 when they open a two-game series against the Alaska Aces.
Great seats are still available beginning as low as $8 and can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at (480) 784-4444, purchasing online at ticketmaster.com or visiting the US Airways Center Box Office. Information on season tickets, half-season packages, and flex plans for the 2008-09 season of Phoenix RoadRunners Hockey are available by calling (602) 462-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2009
- Blades fall in overtime to Sea Wolves, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Chiefs storm past Cyclones - Johnstown Chiefs
- Melanson the hero as Sea Wolves beat Everblades - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bombers Shut Out By Elmira - Dayton Bombers
- Reimer Solid In First Stingray Start, Leads Rays to 6-4 Win Over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Teslak Shuts Out Bombers 3-0 - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Control Pace in Win Over Royals, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- Johnstown Takes 5-2 Verdict From Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators fall to Stingrays, 6-4 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wranglers Game Day - Las Vegas Wranglers
- RoadRunners Acquire Rutherford, Corsi and Deeth From Charlotte - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Acquire Steve Ward From Reading - Reading Royals
- Checkers Make Trade For All-Star Blueliner Ward - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Branham Returned From Worcester - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Sign Gentile - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign At Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- RoadRunners Acquire Chase Trull From Mississippi - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Zaba Named Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender Of The Month - ECHL
- Tip-A-Condor raises nearly $17,000 - Bakersfield Condors
- Panthers' Vokoun Named MeiGray Group Alumnus Of The Month - ECHL
- Nailers Game Used Jersey Auction Going On Now - Wheeling Nailers
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Utah Grizzlies - Bakersfield Condors
- Checkers Sign Michigan State Leading Scorer Schepke - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Rays Host Gwinnett Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hart Returns From Bridgeport; Mole, Sixsmith Departs - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Add Goalie Reimer - South Carolina Stingrays
- James Reimer Recalled to Toronto - Reading Royals
- Roy re-assigned to Blades from Albany - Florida Everblades
- Tip-A-Grizz Monday At Ruby Tuesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Bombers in Action This Weekend - Dayton Bombers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.