Melanson the hero as Sea Wolves beat Everblades
BILOXI, MS - Mathieu Melanson's one-timer on the power play gave the Mississippi Sea Wolves a 3-2 overtime victory over the Florida Everblades before 7,162 at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum on Friday night.
Alex Parent scored for the second consecutive game, backhanding the rebound of Bill LeClerc's shot from the left point past Florida's David Leggio to give Mississippi a 1-0 lead at 8:26 of the first period.
Steve McJannet drew the Everblades even, blasting home the rebound of A.J. Thelen's shot at 8:09 of the second period to tie the game at one.
Pat Oliveto sprung Ryan Menei on a breakaway and he fired a wrist shot past Leggio for his 11th goal of the season and a 2-1 Sea Wolves lead just 3:53 into the third period.
Kevin Baker's 48th goal of the season at 15:19 of the third period tied the game at two, as Baker grabbed the puck on a kooky bounce off of Ross Carlson's dump-in and fired into the net that had been vacated by Ryan Munce, who came out to play it ahead.
Florida's Danick Bouchard took a delay of game penalty as he shot the puck out fo the rink from the defensive zone, putting the Sea Wolves on the power play at 3:16 of overtime. Mathieu Melanson waited at the top of the right-wing circle and rifled a one-timer past Leggio for the game-winner at 3:39 of the extra session.
Ryan Munce made 40 saves through regulation and overtime, and Mississippi was 1-for-5 on the power play.
The next broadcast of Sea Wolves hockey is Saturday when the Sea Wolves host the Florida Everblades at 7:05 CT, and will be heard on the B2 Networks and at www.msseawolves.com. The pre-game show presented by Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College will begin 15 minutes before the opening faceoff!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2009
- Blades fall in overtime to Sea Wolves, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Chiefs storm past Cyclones - Johnstown Chiefs
- Melanson the hero as Sea Wolves beat Everblades - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bombers Shut Out By Elmira - Dayton Bombers
- Reimer Solid In First Stingray Start, Leads Rays to 6-4 Win Over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Teslak Shuts Out Bombers 3-0 - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Control Pace in Win Over Royals, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- Johnstown Takes 5-2 Verdict From Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators fall to Stingrays, 6-4 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wranglers Game Day - Las Vegas Wranglers
- RoadRunners Acquire Rutherford, Corsi and Deeth From Charlotte - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Acquire Steve Ward From Reading - Reading Royals
- Checkers Make Trade For All-Star Blueliner Ward - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Branham Returned From Worcester - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Sign Gentile - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign At Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- RoadRunners Acquire Chase Trull From Mississippi - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Zaba Named Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender Of The Month - ECHL
- Tip-A-Condor raises nearly $17,000 - Bakersfield Condors
- Panthers' Vokoun Named MeiGray Group Alumnus Of The Month - ECHL
- Nailers Game Used Jersey Auction Going On Now - Wheeling Nailers
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Utah Grizzlies - Bakersfield Condors
- Checkers Sign Michigan State Leading Scorer Schepke - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Rays Host Gwinnett Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hart Returns From Bridgeport; Mole, Sixsmith Departs - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Add Goalie Reimer - South Carolina Stingrays
- James Reimer Recalled to Toronto - Reading Royals
- Roy re-assigned to Blades from Albany - Florida Everblades
- Tip-A-Grizz Monday At Ruby Tuesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Bombers in Action This Weekend - Dayton Bombers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.