Reimer Solid In First Stingray Start, Leads Rays to 6-4 Win Over Gladiators
North Charleston, SC - James Reimer, making his first start in goal for the South Carolina Stingrays, was strong in net helping the Rays overtake the Gwinnett Gladiators 6-4 at the North Charleston Coliseum.
"The defense tonight was not very good for either team," said Head Coach Jared Bednar. "We got off to a very shaky start, but we were able to recover."
The first period featured wide open play as the Rays got on the board first with Spencer Carbery's 14th goal of the year. The goal came at 6:30 and was assisted by Travis Morin and Viktor Dovgan. The lead was short lived however as Gwinnett was able to capitalize on the power play and tie things up at one on Jeff Mason's 11th goal of the year. The Ryas retook the lead at 10:19 on a Keith Johnson tally. Johnson's goal, the 19th of the season, was assisted by Maxime Lacroix and Josh Godfrey. But once again, the power play would prove dangerous as Gwinnett was able to tie the game up at two on a Matt Siddall goal, and took the lead in the last two minutes of play heading into the third period with a 3-2 lead.
The Rays made a little power play magic of their own in the second period getting two extra-man tallies in the period. The first came at 3:30 from Lacroix after a Godfrey shot trickled through the pads of goalie Joe Fallon. The goal, Lacroix's 27th of the year, was assisted by Godfrey and Morin. Later in the period the Rays took the lead on their second power play goal. At 18:04, Godfrey again took a big shot that was juggled by Fallon. After Fallon let it fall on the ice, Nikita Kashirsky found the back of the net banging it home for his second professional goal, giving the Rays the 4-3 lead. The goal was assisted by both Godfrey and Pierre-Luc O'Brien.
At 1:06 of the third period, Mason got his second goal of the night, and 12th of the year, to tie the game up at four. But the Rays stormed back with Carbery's second goal of the game, the eventual game winner, his second goal of the night, and 15th of the year. The goal came at 5:40 and was assisted by Patrick Wellar and Matt Scherer. With the game winding down, the Gladiators, already on the penalty kill, pulled their goaltender for the extra attacker. Jeff Corey was able to step in front of a pass and slammed the door shut with his 16th goal of the year, a power play-empty net tally. The goal was assisted by Kashirsky and Wellar.
The winning goaltender was James Reimer in his first start for the Stingrays, stopping 33 of the 37 shots he faced. The losing goaltender was Fallon who stopped 36 of the 41 shots he faced. Both the Rays and the Gladiators went 3-8 on the power play.
Come and support the Stingrays as they honor the men and women who put their lives on the line everyday to keep us safe. On March 22nd, Exclusively Bimmers presents Salute to Heroes Night. Come out and celebrate with the South Carolina Stingrays as they recognize both fire and police. A portion of each ticket will go to support Carolina Children's Charity, Equip our Heroes Foundation and Fraternal Order of Police. Following the game, their will be a special hockey game featuring the Charleston Fire vs. FDNY!! Call 744-2248 for details.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2009
- Blades fall in overtime to Sea Wolves, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Chiefs storm past Cyclones - Johnstown Chiefs
- Melanson the hero as Sea Wolves beat Everblades - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bombers Shut Out By Elmira - Dayton Bombers
- Reimer Solid In First Stingray Start, Leads Rays to 6-4 Win Over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Teslak Shuts Out Bombers 3-0 - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Control Pace in Win Over Royals, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- Johnstown Takes 5-2 Verdict From Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators fall to Stingrays, 6-4 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wranglers Game Day - Las Vegas Wranglers
- RoadRunners Acquire Rutherford, Corsi and Deeth From Charlotte - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Acquire Steve Ward From Reading - Reading Royals
- Checkers Make Trade For All-Star Blueliner Ward - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Branham Returned From Worcester - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Sign Gentile - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign At Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- RoadRunners Acquire Chase Trull From Mississippi - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Zaba Named Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender Of The Month - ECHL
- Tip-A-Condor raises nearly $17,000 - Bakersfield Condors
- Panthers' Vokoun Named MeiGray Group Alumnus Of The Month - ECHL
- Nailers Game Used Jersey Auction Going On Now - Wheeling Nailers
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Utah Grizzlies - Bakersfield Condors
- Checkers Sign Michigan State Leading Scorer Schepke - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Rays Host Gwinnett Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hart Returns From Bridgeport; Mole, Sixsmith Departs - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Add Goalie Reimer - South Carolina Stingrays
- James Reimer Recalled to Toronto - Reading Royals
- Roy re-assigned to Blades from Albany - Florida Everblades
- Tip-A-Grizz Monday At Ruby Tuesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Bombers in Action This Weekend - Dayton Bombers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.