RoadRunners Acquire Steve Ward From Reading
PHOENIX, Ariz. - The Phoenix RoadRunners of the ECHL, a proud affiliate of the San Jose Sharks and the Worcester Sharks, announced today the acquisition of defenseman Steve Ward from the Reading Royals to complete a previous trade for forward Peder Skinner and Chris Stevens and defenseman Brett Thurston.
Ward, 23, ranked second among Royals defensemen with six goals and 25 points in 39 games, but is currently on loan to the Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League where he has skated in two games without recording a point. The Scarborough, Ontario native and second-year professional has logged 13 games in the AHL this season with Albany, San Antonio, Norfolk, and Portland collecting two assists and four penalty minutes.
Selected to represent the Royals at the 2009 ECHL All-Star Game in Reading, Penn., Ward has registered eight goals, 41 assists, and 49 points in 125 career games.
The RoadRunners traded Skinner, Stevens, and Thurston to Reading on Dec. 4 in exchange for defenseman Kevin Schaeffer and future considerations.
The RoadRunners continue a five-game trip and a stretch of 12 out of their final 15 games on the road at 8:15 p.m. Friday with the second of four games in five nights against the Alaska Aces at Sullivan Arena in Anchorage. Catch all the action live on Independent 1310 KXAM beginning with "RoadRunners Countdown" at 8:00 p.m.
Phoenix returns to US Airways Center at 7:05 p.m. Thursday, March 19 when they open a two-game series against the Alaska Aces.
Great seats are still available beginning as low as $8 and can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at (480) 784-4444, purchasing online at ticketmaster.com or visiting the US Airways Center Box Office. Information on season tickets, half-season packages, and flex plans for the 2008-09 season of Phoenix RoadRunners Hockey are available by calling (602) 462-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2009
- Blades fall in overtime to Sea Wolves, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Chiefs storm past Cyclones - Johnstown Chiefs
- Melanson the hero as Sea Wolves beat Everblades - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bombers Shut Out By Elmira - Dayton Bombers
- Reimer Solid In First Stingray Start, Leads Rays to 6-4 Win Over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Teslak Shuts Out Bombers 3-0 - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Control Pace in Win Over Royals, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- Johnstown Takes 5-2 Verdict From Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators fall to Stingrays, 6-4 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wranglers Game Day - Las Vegas Wranglers
- RoadRunners Acquire Rutherford, Corsi and Deeth From Charlotte - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Acquire Steve Ward From Reading - Reading Royals
- Checkers Make Trade For All-Star Blueliner Ward - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Branham Returned From Worcester - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Sign Gentile - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign At Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- RoadRunners Acquire Chase Trull From Mississippi - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Zaba Named Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender Of The Month - ECHL
- Tip-A-Condor raises nearly $17,000 - Bakersfield Condors
- Panthers' Vokoun Named MeiGray Group Alumnus Of The Month - ECHL
- Nailers Game Used Jersey Auction Going On Now - Wheeling Nailers
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Utah Grizzlies - Bakersfield Condors
- Checkers Sign Michigan State Leading Scorer Schepke - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Rays Host Gwinnett Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hart Returns From Bridgeport; Mole, Sixsmith Departs - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Add Goalie Reimer - South Carolina Stingrays
- James Reimer Recalled to Toronto - Reading Royals
- Roy re-assigned to Blades from Albany - Florida Everblades
- Tip-A-Grizz Monday At Ruby Tuesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Bombers in Action This Weekend - Dayton Bombers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.