Gladiators Sign Gentile
The Gwinnett Gladiators announced today that they have signed defenseman Brandon Gentile for the remainder of the 2008-09 season. Before joining the Gladiators, the 6-foot, 196-pound Michigan State University senior has posted three assists and 81 PIM in 38 games with the Spartans this year.
The Clarkston, Mich. native, who is also one of three assistant captains for the team, has played with the Spartans every season since his freshman year in 2005-06, skating in 135 games and collecting 16 assists and 176 PIMs.
During August of 2005, Gentile was one of three Spartan players who competed in the 2005 U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp in Lake Placid, N.Y. for a spot on the 2006 U.S. National Junior Team.
Before attending Michigan State, Gentile played with the U.S. National Under-18 Team where he played a total of 56 games and notched three goals, nine assists, and 110 PIMs.
The Gladiators continue the 2008-09 season on Friday, March 13th as they travel to Charleston to take on the South Carolina Stingrays at the North Charleston Coliseum at 7:05 p.m. Catch all the play by play action in Friday's game on WDUN, News Talk 550.
Began in 1988-89 with five teams playing in four states, the Premier 'AA' Hockey League has grown into a coast-to-coast league that will have 23 teams in 16 states and British Columbia playing 864 games from Oct. 17, 2008 to Apr. 4, 2009. Eighteen of the 23 teams have played at least five years in their current city.
The third-longest tenured professional hockey league behind only the National Hockey League and the American Hockey League, the ECHL averaged 4,174 per game last season, marking the fourth year in row and the 16th time in the last 18 years that the league has averaged over 4,000 fans. The league has drawn over four million fans each of the last five years and 11 times in the past 12 seasons.
The Gwinnett Gladiators open their sixth season as a proud member of the ECHL in October of 2008 - season ticket packages are on sale now. In addition, the Gladiators offer several unique multi-game ticket packages as well as discounted group rates, suite rentals, and birthday parties. For more information call 770-497-5100 or log on to gwinnettgladiators.com.
The Gladiators are the AA affiliate of the Atlanta Thrashers and play all home games at the spectacular 11,355-seat Arena at Gwinnett Center, located just off I-85 on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth, where parking is always free.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2009
- Blades fall in overtime to Sea Wolves, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Chiefs storm past Cyclones - Johnstown Chiefs
- Melanson the hero as Sea Wolves beat Everblades - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bombers Shut Out By Elmira - Dayton Bombers
- Reimer Solid In First Stingray Start, Leads Rays to 6-4 Win Over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Teslak Shuts Out Bombers 3-0 - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Control Pace in Win Over Royals, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- Johnstown Takes 5-2 Verdict From Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators fall to Stingrays, 6-4 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wranglers Game Day - Las Vegas Wranglers
- RoadRunners Acquire Rutherford, Corsi and Deeth From Charlotte - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Acquire Steve Ward From Reading - Reading Royals
- Checkers Make Trade For All-Star Blueliner Ward - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Branham Returned From Worcester - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Sign Gentile - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign At Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- RoadRunners Acquire Chase Trull From Mississippi - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Zaba Named Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender Of The Month - ECHL
- Tip-A-Condor raises nearly $17,000 - Bakersfield Condors
- Panthers' Vokoun Named MeiGray Group Alumnus Of The Month - ECHL
- Nailers Game Used Jersey Auction Going On Now - Wheeling Nailers
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Utah Grizzlies - Bakersfield Condors
- Checkers Sign Michigan State Leading Scorer Schepke - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Rays Host Gwinnett Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hart Returns From Bridgeport; Mole, Sixsmith Departs - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Add Goalie Reimer - South Carolina Stingrays
- James Reimer Recalled to Toronto - Reading Royals
- Roy re-assigned to Blades from Albany - Florida Everblades
- Tip-A-Grizz Monday At Ruby Tuesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Bombers in Action This Weekend - Dayton Bombers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.