Checkers Make Trade For All-Star Blueliner Ward
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Charlotte Checkers general manager and head coach, Derek Wilkinson, announced today that the team has traded defenseman Brian Deeth along with rookie forwards P.J. Corsi and David Rutherford to the Phoenix Roadrunners in exchange for defenseman Steve Ward and future considerations.
Ward, 5-feet-11, 187 pounds, has played the majority of this season with the Reading Royals suiting up in 39 games scoring six goals with 19 assists for 25 points and 19 penalty minutes. During this season, Ward has managed to dress for four American Hockey League teams including the Albany River Rats (six games played with one assist), San Antonio Rampage (four games played with zero points), Norfolk Admirals (one game played with one assist) and is currently playing for the Portland Pirates where he has dressed in two games with zero points. Ward was selected to represent the Royals during this season's ECHL All-Star game where he tallied two assists.
Deeth, played in 35 games for the Checkers this season scoring two goals and seven assists for nine points with 43 penalty minutes. Rutherford and Corsi are both in their rookie seasons. Rutherford has played in 52 games scoring 13 goals and 13 assists for 26 points with 89 penalty minutes while Corsi suited up in 41 games scoring nine goals and 14 assists for 23 points with 79 penalty minutes.
The Checkers are in their 16th season of play as a member of the ECHL. The next Checkers home game will take place on March 14 against the Gwinnett Gladiators at 7 p.m. In the team's 15-year history, the Checkers have made the playoffs 11 times including four consecutive playoff appearances to date. The Checkers are playing their fourth season of play at Time Warner Cable Arena. For ticket information, please call 704-342-4-ICE or visit www.gocheckers.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2009
- Blades fall in overtime to Sea Wolves, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Chiefs storm past Cyclones - Johnstown Chiefs
- Melanson the hero as Sea Wolves beat Everblades - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bombers Shut Out By Elmira - Dayton Bombers
- Reimer Solid In First Stingray Start, Leads Rays to 6-4 Win Over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Teslak Shuts Out Bombers 3-0 - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Control Pace in Win Over Royals, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- Johnstown Takes 5-2 Verdict From Cincinnati - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators fall to Stingrays, 6-4 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wranglers Game Day - Las Vegas Wranglers
- RoadRunners Acquire Rutherford, Corsi and Deeth From Charlotte - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Acquire Steve Ward From Reading - Reading Royals
- Checkers Make Trade For All-Star Blueliner Ward - Charlotte Checkers
- Tim Branham Returned From Worcester - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Sign Gentile - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign At Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- RoadRunners Acquire Chase Trull From Mississippi - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Zaba Named Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender Of The Month - ECHL
- Tip-A-Condor raises nearly $17,000 - Bakersfield Condors
- Panthers' Vokoun Named MeiGray Group Alumnus Of The Month - ECHL
- Nailers Game Used Jersey Auction Going On Now - Wheeling Nailers
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Utah Grizzlies - Bakersfield Condors
- Checkers Sign Michigan State Leading Scorer Schepke - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Rays Host Gwinnett Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hart Returns From Bridgeport; Mole, Sixsmith Departs - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Add Goalie Reimer - South Carolina Stingrays
- James Reimer Recalled to Toronto - Reading Royals
- Roy re-assigned to Blades from Albany - Florida Everblades
- Tip-A-Grizz Monday At Ruby Tuesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Bombers in Action This Weekend - Dayton Bombers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.