TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - In front of 7,133 fans on a sunny Thursday night, the TinCaps treated the Fort Wayne faithful to a 9-4 win over the South Bend Cubs (Chicago Cubs), pushing their record at Parkview Field against the Cubs this season to 7-3.
Jesus Gonzalez flourished in his first start with the TinCaps (28-38, 61-73) this season. The 18-year-old from Venezuela tossed five innings of one-run ball while allowing just two hits. Both hits came in the fifth inning, as Gonzalez no-hit the Cubs (36-29, 73-60) through the game's first four innings. Gonzalez made a living on groundballs on Thursday night. Nine of the 15 outs he recorded were by way of groundout.
The 'Caps scored early and often on Thursday night, pounding out nine runs on 11 hits, including seven extra-base hits. Fort Wayne scored one run in the second, two runs in the third, two in the sixth, and four in the seventh.
Dwanya Williams-Sutton crushed two home runs onto the left-field concourse in the midst of a four-RBI game. "DWS" has two hits in each of his last three games, and he's the second TinCap to hit two home runs in a game this year. Jawuan Harris also hit two home runs in a win on July 18. Williams-Sutton has three home runs in his last seven games. He had five homers in his first 84 games this season.
Chris Givin (two doubles) and Chandler Seagle (a single and a double) had their first two-hit games with the TinCaps this season, and Justin Lopez scored twice. Agustin Ruiz and Michael Curry each smacked doubles - Ruiz leads all active TinCaps with 24 doubles, while Curry is second with 19. Every single TinCap batter reached base at least once in the victory.
Friday, Aug. 30 vs. South Bend (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Ryan Weathers
- Cubs Probable Starter: RHP Cam Sanders
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Team Store Extends Hours for Holiday Season
- TinCaps Reading Program Ready for 2022
- Hundreds of Lutheran School Teachers and Administrators to Participate in Service Project
- Parkview Field Holiday Fireworks Presented by Pizza Hut
- TinCaps Holiday Season Beer Sampler on Sale