Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland
Midland, Mich. - The Great Lakes Loons broke a 1-1 tie with two runs in the fifth inning and two more in the sixth, then held off a ninth inning Dayton comeback bid to defeat the Dragons 5-3 on Thursday night. The start of the game was delayed by rain for one hour, 42 minutes. The two clubs have split the first two games of the three-game set.
Dayton's Miguel Hernandez launched a solo home run to left field in the top of the fifth inning to tie the game at 1-1, but the Loons responded with two in the bottom of the same inning to take the lead for good.
The Dragons trailed 5-1 going to the ninth inning before scoring two runs in the frame and getting the tying run to the plate with only one out. Mariel Bautista led off the inning with a single to right field, his second hit of the night. Juan Martinez reached on an error, and a wild pitch advanced the runners to second and third. With one out, Jay Schuyler singled to center to drive in both Bautista and Martinez to make it 5-3 and bring the tying run to the plate. But Cameron Warren flied out to center field and Morgan Lofstrom flied to left to end the game.
Dragons starting pitcher Adrian Rodriguez (6-4) was charged with the loss. He worked five innings, allowing three runs on six hits with no walks and five strikeouts. Rodriguez will finish the month of August with an ERA of 1.48 in 30.1 innings and will be a strong contender for the Reds Minor League Pitcher of the Month award.
Tyler Gibson followed Rodriguez by pitching the sixth inning, allowing two runs on three hits with a walk. Moises Nova fired two scoreless innings to close out the night. Nova allowed one hit while giving up one walk and striking out three.
The Dragons finished with just five hits. Bautista was 2 for 4 with a double. The home run by Hernandez was his fifth of the year.
Up Next: The Dragons (28-38, 56-80) meet the Loons (37-29, 80-53) in the last game of the three-game series and final road game of the year for the Dragons on Friday night at 7:05 p.m. Randy Wynne (0-0, 8.31) will start for the Dragons. Great Lakes will counter with Ryan Pepiot (0-0, 2.08).
The Dragons have three remaining home games in 2019. They are Saturday, August 31-Monday, September 2. For Dragons ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
On the Air: All Dragons home and road games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 2: First Basemen
- Dragons Single-Game Ticket Sales to Begin Wednesday, March 11
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Preview, Part 1: Catchers