Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win
BURLINGTON, IA - Remey Reed threw six perfect innings and J.D. Osbrone drove in four runs in a Clinton LumberKings 9-5 win over the Burlington Bees at Community Field on Thursday night. The win keeps the LumberKings (42-24, 75-60) atop the Western Division and stretches their current winning streak to five games.
Clinton started their scoring immediately - eventually building toward a 9-0 lead. In the top of the first, Burlington (27-39, 66-70) starter Keith Rogalla allowed the games first three runs. Eight LumberKings batters came up during the inning with Osborne smashing a two-run homer to cap the rally - his 10th home run of the year.
Rogalla (1-2) was hung with the loss for a four-inning outing. He allowed no more runs following the first, surrendering six hits while walking none and striking out eight. In total Bees pitching struck out a combined 18 Clinton batters.
Osborne drove home another two runs in the fifth inning with an two-run single to bring his RBIs total for the night to four - matching a professional career high.
In the top of the seventh, the lead grew to nine with Clinton's largest rally of the night. Eight batters came to the plate to score four runs on four hits. The rally was capped on back-to-back RBI doubles from Evan Edwards and Will Banfield.
Remey Reed needed little support for his most dominate start as a LumberKing. He did not allow a base runner to reach against him. Reed (4-3) earned the win with six shutout innings, with no hits and no walks, while striking out seven.
Burlington broke up the perfect game bid in the bottom of the seventh and started to rally. When the dust settled, the Bees sent nine men to the plate to score four runs on five hits.
In the bottom of the eighth, Kevin Maitan pulled the Bees a run closer with a solo home run off the scoreboard in right center - his 12th blast of the season.
Tyler Mitzel worked the final 2.1 innings for Clinton and set down Burlington 1-2-3 in the ninth to preserve the LumberKings fifth straight win and take the series.
The LumberKings will meet the Burlington Bees for the finale game of their three-game series on Friday night. Clinton will throw righty Jake Walters (6-4, 2.54) while Burlington will tap righty Robinson Pina (5-7, 3.81). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th