Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton
Clinton beat Burlington 9-5 on Thursday night. The LumberKings scored three runs in the top of the first off Bees starter Keith Rogalla. They were in cruise control, scoring twice more in the fifth and four more times in the seventh.
In the middle of the seventh the Bees were staring at the wrong end of a perfect game. Clinton starter Remey Reed had not allowed a hit or walk. His defense was unmarked, and he had thrown just 76 pitches.
But, this is minor league baseball where pitch count and innings pitched are regulated strictly. In addition, the LumberKings had just clinched a playoff berth. Reed is a regular starter, who will be need in the post season.
Elkin Alcala came in to face the Bees in the bottom of the seventh. Things changed quickly. Livan Soto led off with a ground single through the right side. Perfect game, no hitter gone. Adrian Rondon followed with a shot to the wall in the left field power alley, and Soto scampered home. Shut out gone, too.
Now down 9-1, Burlington continued turning it around. After an out, Nonie Williams was hit by a pitch. Francisco Del Valle then singled to left to load the bases. A shallow single to center scored Rondon to make it 9-2. Keinner Pina singled to left. Williams and Del Valle scored. 9-4 Clinton.
Kevin Maitan's no doubter off the scoreboard in right center with two out in the eighth brought it to the final 9-5 score.
Rogalla took the loss to go to 1-2. He settled in after the first, holding the LumberKings hitless through the next three. He finished the night having given up 3 runs on 4 hits. He walked none and struck out eight.
Ethan Clark tossed 2.1 scoreless frames to close out the contest. He fanned seven, and walked one.
Images from this story
Kevin Maitan swings for the fences for the Burlington Bees
(Bees Media Relations)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.