Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Gabe Snyder hit two home runs on Thursday night, but Quad Cities edged the Kernels 3-2. It was Snyder's second two-homer game of the season. He's now hit 18 home runs, the most by a Kernel since Zander Wiel's 19 long balls in 2016.
Quad Cities (35-31, 78-54) came into the game having scored just five total runs during a four-game losing streak. However, the River Bandits pushed across three runs in the first inning to take a 3-0 lead. Back to back RBI singles by Oscar Campos and Freudis Nova plated the first two runs, and Alex Holderbach's RBI groundout gave the River Bandits the early three-run cushion.
Snyder got the Kernels on the board in the fourth inning with a solo home run to right field, making the score 3-1. His second blast came in the sixth inning and cut the deficit to 3-2.
Cedar Rapids (35-31, 74-42) threatened in the eighth but left the bases loaded to end the inning.
Jonathan Bermudez (6-1) struck out seven over six innings in the victory, allowing two runs on three hits. Tyler Palm (3-10) allowed three runs over five innings in the loss. Palm walked four while not collecting a strikeout.
The regular season home finale is tomorrow night at 6:35 p.m. Andrew Cabezas (5-7, 3.73) starts for the Kernels while Felipe Tejada (6-1, 2.93) pitches for Quad Cities. You can listen to the action on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
The first 1,000 fans through the gates receive a free Twins baseball cap, courtesy of Linn County Dairy Queen. The Kernels will also be wearing their Twins Tuesday jerseys, sponsored by Great Clips. The jerseys will be sold during the game via a silent auction with the proceeds benefitting the Kernels Summer Reading Program. Fans at the game can register to win a free fridge from Scratch & Dent Appliance that will be given away during the game. It's the final Kernels Friday Mug Club Night. Buy a 16 oz. souvenir mug for $6.00 at the concession stands, and get it filled with regular draft beer or soda. Refills are $3.00 all game long. Mug Club is sponsored by Stadium Bar and Grill, Shuey's, Mr. B's, Mulligan's Pub, and Z 102.9. Stick around after the game for a spectacular FIREWORKS show! Gates open at 5:30 p.m.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games, including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits, by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling 319-896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays.s.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.