TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4
Fort Wayne, IN: After setting the tone to start the series in last night's win, the South Bend Cubs fell to the Fort Wayne TinCaps on Thursday night from Parkview Field by a final of 9-4. Thursday was the first time the Cubs had the opportunity to clinch a postseason berth. Since the Lansing Lugnuts won, South Bend's magic number stays at two.
A big part of South Bend's game one win was their ability to get on the board quickly. They scored eight runs in the first two innings of last night's game. Tonight, it was the TinCaps who flipped the script. Fort Wayne plated three runs in the first three innings against starter Riley Thompson.
At the plate, South Bend's starting nine was the first Midwest League lineup Fort Wayne starter Jesus Gonzalez ever faced. Just 18-years-old, Gonzalez looked calm, cool, and collected on the rubber and grabbed the win in his first full-season start. The lefty tossed five innings of one run baseball.
Fort Wayne powered their way to the game two win with two home runs from left fielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton. After Thompson departed, Blake Whitney made his Midwest League debut and allowed two runs. The right-hander picked up four strikeouts of his own.
Continuing his hot start to the series was Cubs catcher Marcus Mastrobuoni. With two hits last night and tonight, Mastrobuoni also added an RBI to bring his series total to three. Since returning from the injured list earlier this road trip, Mastrobuoni has his average up to .270.
The Cubs will have the chance to clinch a playoff spot again tomorrow night in the finale against Fort Wayne. In order to do this, they need to win and Lansing needs to lose. Right-hander Cam Sanders is the expected starter for South Bend.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Four Winds Field to Host South Bend Community School Corporation Graduations July 24 & 25ÃÂ
- Cubs Host Evening at Four Winds Field
- South Bend Cubs to Hold All Skills Camp
- Cubs Host Evening at Four Winds Field on June 5
- South Bend Cubs Launch Meals for Medical MVPs