Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin
Appleton, Wisconsin - The Kane County Cougars (77-58, 42-24) are returning to the playoffs for the second time in three years with an 8-4 win over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (67-68, 36-30) on Thursday night at Fox Cities Stadium. Since teaming with Diamondbacks in 2015, the Cougars have earned postseason bids in three of five seasons.
Zack Shannon set the tone with a first-inning solo homer, his 12th of the year. Wisconsin tied the game in the first when Thomas Dillard bounced into a double play. Nick Dalesandro pushed the Cougars in front with an RBI single in the second inning. Wisconsin pulled back even with an RBI single in the bottom of the second.
Kristian Robinson slammed the Cougars ahead for good with a bases-clearing home run in the top of the third.
The teams exchanged runs the rest of the night. Tra Holmes' RBI double and Buddy Kennedy's RBI single provided some extra breathing room for the Cougars late in the game.
Levi Kelly carried the Cougars through the first four innings on the mound, allowing three runs (one earned). Andy Toelken (7-3) shouldered a season-high 4.2 innings of one-run ball to earn the win. He also had a season-best six strikeouts. Kai-Wei Lin (7) recorded the playoff-clinching out to earn the save. Antoine Kelly (0-1) allowed six runs in three innings for Wisconsin and suffered the loss.
Game three of the Cougars' three-game series in Wisconsin begins Friday night at 7:05 p.m. Follow the action live on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season