Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory
Bowling Green, KY - Miller Hogan earned his sixth-consecutive win as the Bowling Green Bootleggers defeated the Lake County Captains 3-1 on Thursday night at Bowling Green Ballpark. Bowling Green improved to 79-56, 40-25 in the second half, while also reducing their magic number to clinch the second-half division crown to two games, ahead of Friday night's final home game of the season, which will have a 6:35 p.m. first pitch.
After a scoreless first inning, the Captains took the early lead against Hogan in the second. Jesse Berardi lined the first pitch of the inning off the top of the right-field wall for a leadoff double. He immediately came around to score on a single by Daniel Schneemann to give Lake County a quick 1-0 lead.
However, the Bootleggers came right back in the bottom of the frame against Lake County starter Ethan Hankins. After Grant Witherspoon drew a leadoff walk, Chris Betts lined a double into the right field corner, scoring Witherspoon all the way from first to tie the game.
In the fifth, Hankins gave way to Kellen Rholl, who promptly issued walks to Erik Ostberg and Jordan Qsar to begin the inning. Ford Proctor followed with a double to left, scoring Ostberg to break the tie. With one out, Jonathan Aranda walked to reload the bases, setting the stage for Ruben Cardenas, who drove in Qsar with a sacrifice fly, giving the Bootleggers a 3-1 lead.
The Bootlegger bullpen did the rest, as Nick Sprengel allowed a hit in three-consecutive innings, but allowed no runs. In the ninth, Joel Peguero worked around a two-out walk, throwing a scoreless frame to secure a 3-1 lead.
Hogan (7-3) went 5.0 innings, allowing a run on four hits, while striking out three and earning his sixth-straight win. Sprengel threw 3.0 scoreless innings, allowing three hits and striking out five. Peguero threw the ninth inning, walking one and striking out one while earning his 15th save.
Notes: Schnell has hit safely in eight-straight games...Hogan's sixth-straight wins are the most by a BG pitcher this season...Bowling Green went 5-4 this year under the Bootleggers moniker...The Bootleggers are 17-10 in the month of August... BG is 44-24 at home...The Bootleggers are 60-38 against right-handed starters...The Bootleggers won for the 17th time when being out-hit by their opponent...Bowling Green will finish their regular-season home schedule tomorrow night, with first pitch at 6:35 p.m. CDT...RHP Alan Strong (9-4, 2.97) will start for Bowling Green, while Lake County counters with LHP Eli Lingos (3-1, 3.80)...Tomorrow, Bowling Green will take the field as the Sinkholes, with the game-worn jerseys being auctioned off after the game...Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020