River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids
Cedar Rapids, IA - The Quad Cities River Bandits scored three runs in the top of the first inning and made them hold up the rest of the way in a 3-2 win over the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Thursday night. Felipe Tejada tossed 3.0 scoreless innings out of the bullpen to collect his first save of the year.
The River Bandits (35-31, 78-54) jumped out of the gates against Kernels starter Tyler Palm. C.J. Stubbs opened the game with a line drive to left field and was quickly joined on base by Grae Kessinger after a base on balls. The two executed a double steal to put a pair in scoring position with no outs. Oscar Campos took advantage with a sharp single into right field that made it 1-0. Another run-scoring followed off the bat of Freudis Nova to double the lead. Finally, Alex Holderbach chopped a slow-roller to third base that scored the final run of the inning and gave Quad Cities a 3-0 lead.
The Cedar Rapids (35-31, 74-62) pitching staff would shut down the Bandits offense the rest of the way, allowing the Kernels to chip away at the lead. All of the offense for Cedar Rapids on the night was provided by first baseman Gabe Snyder. He put the Kernels on the board with his 17th home run of the year, a solo shot in the fourth inning off of Jonathan Bermudez. Snyder launched his second home run of the night and 18th of the year in the sixth inning to make it a 3-2 game.
Those home runs were two of the three hits that Bermudez allowed over his 6.0 innings of work as the winning pitcher. He struck out seven in the game. Tejada walked three batters out of the pen, but it never cost him. He loaded the bases in the eighth inning, but struck out Wander Javier to end the threat. In the ninth, he followed a leadoff walk by inducing a double play off the bat of Tyler Webb.
Alex McKenna collected two of the five hits put up by the River Bandits in the game. Aside from Snyder's long balls, Spencer Steer and Webb provided the other two hits for the Kernels.
The teams will meet for the final time in the regular season on Friday night at 6:35 p.m. In the finale, the River Bandits will hand the ball to RHP Matt Ruppenthal (5-7, 4.55). Cedar Rapids will respond with RHP Andrew Cabezas (5-7, 3.73).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park
- Bandits Now Accepting Valentine's Day Dinner Reservations
- River Bandits to Host Charity Hot Stove Dinner January 29th