Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League
CLINTON, IA - Three members of the 2019 LumberKings have been selected by the Miami Marlins to participate in the Arizona Fall League this year. Jerar Encarnacion, C.J. Carter, and Alex Vesia will join the Salt River Rafters this fall.
The Arizona Fall League is a League composed of two divisions of three, with each team made up with players from five Major League clubs. The Marlins players will join prospects from the Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Minnesota Twins, and Tampa Bay Rays. Being selected to player is considered an honor for the players, who will have the opportunity to showcase their skills among the best in the Minor Leagues across all levels.
The trio from the 2019 LumberKings will be joined by other Marlins prospects incuding former LumberKing Nick Neidert, Jose Devers, Victor Victor Mesa, and Vincenzo Aiello. Neidert was a part of the record setting 2016 LumberKings who were the last Clinton squad in the playoffs before the 2019 LumberKings clinched last night in Burlington.
Encarnacion, played in 68 of 69 games in the first half for the LumberKings, batting .298 and hitting 10 home runs before earning a promotion to High-A Jupiter at the Midwest League All-Star Break. Encarnacion's final at bat as a LumberKing was a go-ahead home run in the MWL All-Star Game.
Carter, who also left after the MWL All-Star Break, appeared in 18 games out of the LumberKings bullpen. He ended with a 2.27 ERA and a proessional career high 39 strikeouts.
Vesia, who appeared in 19 games out of the LumberKings bullpen while striking out 51 batters, was promoted to High-A Jupiter and has since been able to make the leap all the way up to AA Jacksonville where he has yet to give up a run in eight appearances.
A complete List of former LumberKings selected for the AFL in 2019 can be seen below.
Alex Vesia Marlins Salt River Rafters
C.J. Carter Marlins Salt River Rafters
Jerar Encarnacion Marlins Salt River Rafters
Joe Rizzo Mariners Peoria Javelinas
Nick Neidert Marlins Salt River Rafters
Raymond Kerr Mariners Peoria Javelinas
Sam Delaplane Mariners Peoria Javelinas
Seth Elledge Cardinals Glendale Desert Dogs
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.