TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (27-38, 60-73) vs. South Bend Cubs (36-28, 73-59)
LHP Jesus Gonzalez vs. RHP Riley Thompson
Thursday, Aug. 29 - Parkview Field (Fort Wayne, Ind.) - First Pitch 7:05 PM (Game 134 / 138)
WATCH: John Nolan, Tracy Coffman & Brett Rump (Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV)
LISTEN: Mike Maahs & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST NIGHT: The TinCaps lost to the Cubs, 13-4. South Bend raced out to an 8-0 lead through 2 innings. A Justin Lopez 3-run homer cut Fort Wayne's deficit to 9-4 in the sixth, but that was as close as it got.
WELCOME: Lefty Jesus Gonzalez is making his TinCaps debut tonight. See Page 3 for more.
WALK & RUN: Center fielder Jawuan Harris is on a 9-game hitting streak and 13-game on-base streak-both of which tie season-longs. Over the last 9 games, Harris is 13-for-35 (.371) with 3 doubles, 2 triples, a homer, and 4 RBIs. Harris' OBP for the last 13 games is .411... For the season, he ranks 3rd in the MWL in stolen bases with 29. Harris also ranks 8th in walks (58).
HOT CURRY: Left fielder/DH Michael Curry has been one of the best hitters in the league since Memorial Day Weekend. Over his last 71 games, Curry's .879 OPS ranks 3rd in the MWL. His .314 AVG ranks 2nd, .404 OBP is 3rd, and .475 SLG is 4th.
DWS, OBP: Outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton leads the MWL in OBP (.408)... He also leads the league in HBP (30), setting a single-season franchise record. That includes being hit by 4 pitches in a game against Cedar Rapids on July 22 (which tied a MiLB record; it's never happened before in a MLB game). The previous franchise record for HBP in a season was 23... Williams-Sutton ranks 3rd in the MWL in BB% (14%)... His wRC+ of 133 is 3rd in the league among active players.
JUSTIN-FORMATION: Over his last 33 games (since July 21), infielder Justin Lopez has slashed .291/.338/.457 (.795 OPS) with 9 doubles, 4 homers, and 21 RBIs... Lopez, 19, is 1 of only 2 teens in the MWL with 12 home runs this year. The other is Lansing's Gabriel Moreno, the No. 9 Toronto prospect.
RUIZ BATTED IN: Outfielder Agustin Ruiz, 19, ranks 13th in the MWL in RBIs with 55. The only teenagers in the league with more are No. 5 Indians prospect Bo Naylor and No. 6 Cubs prospect Cole Roederer... Ruiz is also 15th in the league in doubles with 23.
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano made SportsCenter last Monday for a behind-the-back flip to second base for a force-out against Bowling Green. It was No. 4 on Top 10 Plays... Marcano has the 6th most hits in the MWL (119). He also has the 2nd lowest K% (9%) and 3rd lowest swinging strike% (4%). With 33 walks against only 45 strikeouts, his BB/K ratio (0.73) ranks 6th.
HIGH Q: Reliever Jose Quezada leads the MWL in appearances (46).
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have issued the fewest walks in the MWL this season, averaging just 3.0 per 9 innings. Fort Wayne also has the best ratio of strikeouts to walks (3.04).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Loons Top Dragons 5-3 After Rain Delay in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Top Cubs in Game Two 9-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Deep into the Night - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinch a Cinch: Cougars Playoff Bound with Win in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin officially eliminated from playoff contention with home loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Burlington Bees Fall to Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Hankins K's 10, Winning Streak Ends - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Walk off Snappers 5-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Reed/LKings Flirt with Perfecto in 5th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Hold on for 3-2 Win in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bootleggers Quiet Captains in 3-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice But Kernels Fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs Beat the Rain, Mash out 7-3 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Toast Final 2019 Thirsty Thursday With Resounding Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- J.T. Perez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 29 vs. South Bend (Game 134) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Three 2019 LumberKings Chosen for Arizona Fall League - Clinton LumberKings
- CPR Mass Training Event at Four Winds Field September 5 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.