Three Unanswered Goals Wash Out Fresno Fuego
FRESNO, Calif. - The Fresno Fuego couldn't carry their first half energy into the final 45 minutes as the San Jose Earthquakes (PDL) came from behind to defeat them 3-2 at Chukchansi Park Thursday night.
The Fuego started off with a punch 10 minutes into the game when they were able to record the first goal against the Earthquakes off a corner kick. Gaston Cignetti curved the ball right over the Quake defenders and Trevor Spurgeon met it on the other side to slice it into the left corner of the net to give the Fuego a 1-0 lead.
The second Fuego goal was scored in the 27th minute after a back and forth battle in front of the Earthquakes net was won by Abraham Campos. Jose "Chiva" Cuevas jostled with defenders and then passed it to Campos, who was able to answer with a powerful shot fired into the upper left corner of the net.
However, the Fuego's energy dissipated in the final 63 minutes, leading to three unanswered goals by the Earthquakes.
The first San Jose goal was set up when their player was rocked inside the Fuego box to give a penalty kick to Matthew Sheldon in the 43rd minute. The penalty shot was blocked by goalkeeper Cesar Castillo, but Sheldon knocked it in the goal off the rebound to put the Earthquakes on the board, making it 2-1 at half.
The San Jose Earthquakes continued their comeback two minutes into the second half when Daniel Kirkland popped a long pass to Joshua Smith who shot the ball right over the head of Castillo to tie the game, 2-2.
The Earthquakes used heavy pressure in the 80th minute to record the game-winning goal. The Fuego couldn't manage to clear the ball away from their net as four Quakes players traded off shots. Off of a rebound, Nick Cashmere kicked in the deciding goal past a sprawled Cesar Castillo.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 20, 2014
- Iowa gets past Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Turns Tables on Zephyrs with Four-Run Eighth - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Cruise to 13-4 Win in Series Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes' Series Finale at Omaha Rained Out - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Loses to Sacramento 7-5, Settles for Series Split - Round Rock Express
- Fresno Scores In Bunches Late To Earn Getaway Victory - Fresno Grizzlies
- Series Finale with Albuquerque Canceled Due to Rain - Omaha Storm Chasers
- River Cats Earn Series-Split with 7-5 Win - Sacramento River Cats
- Rivero Added to I-Cubs Bullpen - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Storm Chasers June 20th Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Game Notes: June 20, 2014 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- LHP Justin Marks Claimed, Optioned to Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- This Weekend at Werner Park: Promotional Highlights - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Split Twin Bill with Redbirds - Salt Lake Bees
- Salt Lake Topped by Memphis 12-9 - Salt Lake Bees
- Sky Sox Win 14-Inning Affair, 8-7, against Rainiers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Rainiers Fall To Sky Sox In Extras - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bryant Homers in Triple-A Debut to Lead Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Bats Lead Bounce-Back in Reno - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks' Red-Hot Bats Burn Aces - Reno Aces
- Three Unanswered Goals Wash Out Fresno Fuego - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa beats Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Sounds' Skid Hits Unlucky Seven in Vegas - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies gain first lead in the seventh, but falter when New Orleans strikes for three in the eight - Fresno Grizzlies
- Offensive Onslaught Leads Memphis to 12-9 Win - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Statement from Fresno Grizzlies President Derek Franks
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials