Three-Goal Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings
Kalamazoo, MI. - Indy scored a trio of goals in the third period, pushing them past the K-Wings 4-2 on Saturday night in the first game of a home-and-home.
Kyle Thomas scored in the third period extending his point streak to a career high five-games.
Kalamazoo struck first for the second straight night, taking the 1-0 lead 11:07 into the first. Tanner Sorenson collected a pass from Reid Gardiner in front of the net and opened up the goaltender, waiting him out before lifting the puck over Matt Tomkins, to give Kalamazoo the 1-0 lead.
In the middle period the Fuel got on the board, tying the game at 1-1. Josh Shalla took a shot from the right side, tucking the puck just under the cross bar for his 18th goal of the season.
Indy took a 2-1 lead early in the third period on a controversial goal. Keegan Asmundson pounced on a rolling puck that just slid across the goal line while caught up in Asmundson's gear, giving the Fuel the 2-1 lead. Kyle Thomas, looking to extend his four-game point streak, answered right back, snapping a puck under the blocker side of Tomkins, tying the game under a minute later. Tied at 2-2 the Fuel power play gave Indy the lead once again just about the midway mark of the period. In front of the net Kevin Dufour snuck a shot past Keegan Asmundson, giving the Fuel the 3-2 lead, and the lead for good. Indy would add an empty net goal with four seconds left to ice the score with a 4-2 victory.
Asmundson stopped 25 of 28 shots in the loss.
Kalamazoo is back in action tomorrow afternoon, hosting the Fuel in a matinee meeting.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2019
- Thompson Lifts Solar Bears to Comeback Win against Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Strong Third Period Lifts Fuel over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Holds off Steelheads for 3-2 Win - Wichita Thunder
- 11,288 Fans Pack IceMen Game to Set Jacksonville Hockey Attendance Record - Jacksonville Icemen
- Beast Win Fifth Straight and Defeat Growlers 3-1 - Brampton Beast
- Return of the Mac: McCarron's Two-Goal Night Lifts 'Blades to 5-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 3-2 to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- GAME REPORT: Big Second Period Leads Oilers Past Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Take 6-5 Shootout Classic at Wesbanco Arena - Reading Royals
- Point Streak Moves to Six Games as Glads Fall 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Escape with Wild 6-5 Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Stumble in Brampton, Fall 3-1 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- Three-Goal Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Four-Goal First Period Paces Railers to 5-1 Home Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Drops Home and Home Set by 5-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Blast Mariners, 6-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Bury Mariners with Third Period Barrage - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- G Buffalo Heads to Reading from Adirondack for Futures - Reading Royals
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 26 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goalie Devin Buffalo Traded to Reading Royals - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Bolster Blue Line with the Addition of Eric Roy - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: K-Wings Begin Home and Home Set in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Returns from All-Star Break at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Doty and Motte Lead Allen over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 to Begin 6 Game Trip - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.