Adirondack Drops Home and Home Set by 5-1 Final
GLENS FALLS, NY - John Edwardh scored a power-play goal in the second period but the Thunder could not overcome four first-period tallies from the Railers in a 5-1 loss to Worcester on Saturday night.
The Railers scored a quartet of goals - one each by Ryan Hitchcock, Yannick Turcotte, Barry Almeida and Woody Hudson - all in the opening half of the first period that chased Thunder goalie Evan Cormier from the net.
Edwardh scored the Thunder's only goal of the night on a power-play tally at 8:59 of the middle frame. The Adirondack power-play unit played catch around the outskirts of the Worcester zone defense when Desmond Bergin fed Matias Cleland at the center point. Cleland slid his pass to Edwardh at the left wing where he took his time before ripping a wrist-shot in the top corner past Mitch Gillam to get the Thunder on the board.
Hitchcock added his second of the night midway through the third period on a hustle play behind the net. The Railers forward forced the puck from the Adirondack defense, circled in front of the net and roofed a quick backhand for the 5-1 final score.
Alex Sakellaropoulos made 23 saves in 51-plus minutes of action after entering the game for the Thunder.
Adirondack wraps up its first three-in-three set of the season tomorrow afternoon against the Maine Mariners. Puck drop is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. from Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, ME.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2019
- Thompson Lifts Solar Bears to Comeback Win against Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Strong Third Period Lifts Fuel over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Holds off Steelheads for 3-2 Win - Wichita Thunder
- 11,288 Fans Pack IceMen Game to Set Jacksonville Hockey Attendance Record - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Win Fifth Straight and Defeat Growlers 3-1 - Brampton Beast
- Return of the Mac: McCarron's Two-Goal Night Lifts 'Blades to 5-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 3-2 to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- GAME REPORT: Big Second Period Leads Oilers Past Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Take 6-5 Shootout Classic at Wesbanco Arena - Reading Royals
- Point Streak Moves to Six Games as Glads Fall 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Escape with Wild 6-5 Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Stumble in Brampton, Fall 3-1 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- Three-Goal Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Four-Goal First Period Paces Railers to 5-1 Home Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Drops Home and Home Set by 5-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Blast Mariners, 6-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Bury Mariners with Third Period Barrage - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- G Buffalo Heads to Reading from Adirondack for Futures - Reading Royals
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 26 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goalie Devin Buffalo Traded to Reading Royals - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Bolster Blue Line with the Addition of Eric Roy - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: K-Wings Begin Home and Home Set in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Returns from All-Star Break at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Doty and Motte Lead Allen over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 to Begin 6 Game Trip - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Thunder Team up with Uno Pizzeria and Grill for Friday Night Fare
- Cool Insuring Arena to Shut Down for Two Weeks
- Adirondack Thunder Issue Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 Season
- Statement from the Adirondack Thunder on Suspension of ECHL Season
- Thunder's Hutchison Makes Noise During Pro Debut in Loss to Railers