Steelheads Press Late, Fall 3-2 to Thunder
WICHITA, Kan. - The Idaho Steelheads (26-13-3) went back-and-forth with the Wichita Thunder (18-17-8) but fell 3-2 on Saturday night from Intrust Bank Arena.
The Thunder jumped out early, 1-0, just 14 seconds into the first period with a goal by defenseman Travis Brown at the left circle. However, the Steelheads controlled most of the opening frame and found their answer at the 16:00 mark of the frame when forward Kyle Schempp led forward Mitch Moroz up the right wing for a cross-ice pass to forward Elgin Pearce, who backhanded a shot home to tie the game, 1-1.
The back-and-forth game continued in the second period at 1:17 with a tally by Thunder forward Ryan Van Stralen to push back ahead, 2-1. Steelheads forward Brad McClure slipped a shot from the slot through the netminder at 3:45 to tally back to a level score at 2-2. However, at 7:52, Thunder forward Lane Bauer put the home side ahead, 3-2, with a shot in front of the net.
The Steelheads pressed hard in the third period for the game-tying goal, outshooting the Thunder 14-5 in the final frame. However, the Thunder held the Steelheads at bay to take the 3-2 win. Thunder goaltender Dylan Wells (8-3-2) turned away 34 f 36 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Tomas Sholl (15-6-0) stopped 22 of 25 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Thunder finish their two-game weekend on Sunday, Jan. 27 at 3:05 p.m. fro, Intrust Bank Arena. Coverage begins at 2:45 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2019
- Thompson Lifts Solar Bears to Comeback Win against Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Strong Third Period Lifts Fuel over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Holds off Steelheads for 3-2 Win - Wichita Thunder
- 11,288 Fans Pack IceMen Game to Set Jacksonville Hockey Attendance Record - Jacksonville Icemen
- Beast Win Fifth Straight and Defeat Growlers 3-1 - Brampton Beast
- Return of the Mac: McCarron's Two-Goal Night Lifts 'Blades to 5-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 3-2 to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- GAME REPORT: Big Second Period Leads Oilers Past Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Take 6-5 Shootout Classic at Wesbanco Arena - Reading Royals
- Point Streak Moves to Six Games as Glads Fall 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Escape with Wild 6-5 Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Stumble in Brampton, Fall 3-1 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- Three-Goal Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Four-Goal First Period Paces Railers to 5-1 Home Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Drops Home and Home Set by 5-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Blast Mariners, 6-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Bury Mariners with Third Period Barrage - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- G Buffalo Heads to Reading from Adirondack for Futures - Reading Royals
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 26 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goalie Devin Buffalo Traded to Reading Royals - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Bolster Blue Line with the Addition of Eric Roy - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: K-Wings Begin Home and Home Set in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Returns from All-Star Break at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Doty and Motte Lead Allen over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 to Begin 6 Game Trip - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.