Steelheads Press Late, Fall 3-2 to Thunder
WICHITA, Kan. - The Idaho Steelheads (26-13-3) went back-and-forth with the Wichita Thunder (18-17-8) but fell 3-2 on Saturday night from Intrust Bank Arena.
The Thunder jumped out early, 1-0, just 14 seconds into the first period with a goal by defenseman Travis Brown at the left circle. However, the Steelheads controlled most of the opening frame and found their answer at the 16:00 mark of the frame when forward Kyle Schempp led forward Mitch Moroz up the right wing for a cross-ice pass to forward Elgin Pearce, who backhanded a shot home to tie the game, 1-1.
The back-and-forth game continued in the second period at 1:17 with a tally by Thunder forward Ryan Van Stralen to push back ahead, 2-1. Steelheads forward Brad McClure slipped a shot from the slot through the netminder at 3:45 to tally back to a level score at 2-2. However, at 7:52, Thunder forward Lane Bauer put the home side ahead, 3-2, with a shot in front of the net.
The Steelheads pressed hard in the third period for the game-tying goal, outshooting the Thunder 14-5 in the final frame. However, the Thunder held the Steelheads at bay to take the 3-2 win. Thunder goaltender Dylan Wells (8-3-2) turned away 34 f 36 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Tomas Sholl (15-6-0) stopped 22 of 25 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Thunder finish their two-game weekend on Sunday, Jan. 27 at 3:05 p.m. fro, Intrust Bank Arena. Coverage begins at 2:45 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2019
- Thompson Lifts Solar Bears to Comeback Win against Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Strong Third Period Lifts Fuel over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Holds off Steelheads for 3-2 Win - Wichita Thunder
- 11,288 Fans Pack IceMen Game to Set Jacksonville Hockey Attendance Record - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Win Fifth Straight and Defeat Growlers 3-1 - Brampton Beast
- Return of the Mac: McCarron's Two-Goal Night Lifts 'Blades to 5-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 3-2 to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- GAME REPORT: Big Second Period Leads Oilers Past Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Take 6-5 Shootout Classic at Wesbanco Arena - Reading Royals
- Point Streak Moves to Six Games as Glads Fall 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Escape with Wild 6-5 Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Stumble in Brampton, Fall 3-1 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- Three-Goal Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Four-Goal First Period Paces Railers to 5-1 Home Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Drops Home and Home Set by 5-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Blast Mariners, 6-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Bury Mariners with Third Period Barrage - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- G Buffalo Heads to Reading from Adirondack for Futures - Reading Royals
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 26 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goalie Devin Buffalo Traded to Reading Royals - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Bolster Blue Line with the Addition of Eric Roy - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: K-Wings Begin Home and Home Set in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Returns from All-Star Break at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Doty and Motte Lead Allen over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 to Begin 6 Game Trip - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Offensive Burst Sparks 4-2 Win over Komets
- Steelheads Set New Teddy Bear Toss Record, Donate 8,088 Toys
- Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting
- Steelheads, St. Luke's Go "Under The Sea" for Nickelodeon Night This Saturday
- Steelheads Weekly