Thunder Holds off Steelheads for 3-2 Win
Wichita, KS - Dylan Wells stopped 34 of 36 shots to help Wichita hold off Idaho on Saturday night by the final of 3-2 at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Travis Brown, Lane Bauer and Ryan Van Stralen each found the net in the winning effort.
Brown opened up the game with his ninth of the year just 14 seconds into the game. He wired a shot from the left boards that got past Sholl to make it 1-0. With four minutes left in the frame, Elgin Pearce tied the game with his sixth of the year.
Early in the second, Van Stralen made it 2-1 as he battled through a stick check and fired a shot past Sholl from the slot for his second of the year. At 3:45, Brad McClure tied the game at two with his 17th of the year. Bauer scored the eventual game-winner as he whacked a puck out of the air through Sholl's legs to make it 3-2.
Idaho came hard in the third and outshot the Thunder 14-5 in the frame. Wells made several key saves, including a game-clinching one with just over a minute go on Pearce at the blocker-side post. Sholl was lifted for the extra attacker, but the Thunder held on for the victory.
Wells has won his last eight starts. Fournier, Cuddemi, Vesey, Verpaelst, Labrie and Stukel each recorded helpers in the contest.
The two teams will face each other tomorrow afternoon starting at 4:05 p.m.
Individual tickets for all games are on sale now. Season tickets are still available for purchase. Get your seats for just $15 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2019
- Thompson Lifts Solar Bears to Comeback Win against Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Strong Third Period Lifts Fuel over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Holds off Steelheads for 3-2 Win - Wichita Thunder
- 11,288 Fans Pack IceMen Game to Set Jacksonville Hockey Attendance Record - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Win Fifth Straight and Defeat Growlers 3-1 - Brampton Beast
- Return of the Mac: McCarron's Two-Goal Night Lifts 'Blades to 5-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 3-2 to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- GAME REPORT: Big Second Period Leads Oilers Past Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Take 6-5 Shootout Classic at Wesbanco Arena - Reading Royals
- Point Streak Moves to Six Games as Glads Fall 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Escape with Wild 6-5 Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Stumble in Brampton, Fall 3-1 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- Three-Goal Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Four-Goal First Period Paces Railers to 5-1 Home Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Drops Home and Home Set by 5-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Blast Mariners, 6-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Bury Mariners with Third Period Barrage - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- G Buffalo Heads to Reading from Adirondack for Futures - Reading Royals
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 26 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goalie Devin Buffalo Traded to Reading Royals - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Bolster Blue Line with the Addition of Eric Roy - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: K-Wings Begin Home and Home Set in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Returns from All-Star Break at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Doty and Motte Lead Allen over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 to Begin 6 Game Trip - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wichita Thunder Stories
- Vesey Nets First of Season in 4-1 Loss at Utah
- Captains, Skills Competition Participants Named for 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Classic, Presented by Toyota
- Wichita Falls in the Black Hills to Rapid City
- Wells Returns; Desharnais Recalled to Bako
- Gillam Wins Second Goalie of the Week Honors