GAME REPORT: Big Second Period Leads Oilers Past Americans
TULSA, OK - A second period three-goal surge from the Tulsa Oilers (24-14-6) was enough to push the home squad past the visiting Allen Americans (14-28-4) 4-3 Saturday at the BOK Center.
Oilers rookie Jared Thomas buried a loose puck out of a goal-mouth scramble 32 seconds into the game to give Tulsa a 1-0 lead. Allen had four first period power plays, but the Oilers killed off all four penalties. Goaltender Evan Fitzpatrick stopped all nine shots he faced, while Americans goalie C.J. Motte turned away seven of eight.
Tulsa added to its lead early in the second period when a puck bounced off of Charlie Sampair's skate and ricocheted past Motte. Scott Henegar fired a shot past the sliding Motte to make it 3-0 on an Oilers 2-on-1 rush, before Americans forward Alexandre Ranger put Allen on the board with a deflection in front of Fitzpatrick. Late in the frame, Ryan Tesink cleaned up a rebound for his second point of the night to put the Oilers ahead 4-1 after 40 minutes.
Allen rookie Braylon Shmyr fooled Fitzpatrick with a shot from high in the slot to halve the Oilers lead 6:23 into the third period. The Americans cut their deficit to one with 8:58 remaining in regulation when Zach Pochiro scored his league-leading 24th goal to make it 4-3. Tulsa held on from there to split the weekend series heading into tomorrow's finale.
The Oilers and Americans finish off the weekend series with a rubber match Sunday at 4:05pm on the York Plumbing Ice at the BOK Center. A post game skate for the fans with the Oilers players will follow the game.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram , or "Like" us on Facebook for more information about the Tulsa Oilers. Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2019
- Thompson Lifts Solar Bears to Comeback Win against Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Strong Third Period Lifts Fuel over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Holds off Steelheads for 3-2 Win - Wichita Thunder
- 11,288 Fans Pack IceMen Game to Set Jacksonville Hockey Attendance Record - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Win Fifth Straight and Defeat Growlers 3-1 - Brampton Beast
- Return of the Mac: McCarron's Two-Goal Night Lifts 'Blades to 5-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 3-2 to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- GAME REPORT: Big Second Period Leads Oilers Past Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Take 6-5 Shootout Classic at Wesbanco Arena - Reading Royals
- Point Streak Moves to Six Games as Glads Fall 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Escape with Wild 6-5 Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Stumble in Brampton, Fall 3-1 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- Three-Goal Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Four-Goal First Period Paces Railers to 5-1 Home Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Drops Home and Home Set by 5-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Blast Mariners, 6-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Bury Mariners with Third Period Barrage - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- G Buffalo Heads to Reading from Adirondack for Futures - Reading Royals
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 26 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goalie Devin Buffalo Traded to Reading Royals - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Bolster Blue Line with the Addition of Eric Roy - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: K-Wings Begin Home and Home Set in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Returns from All-Star Break at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Doty and Motte Lead Allen over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 to Begin 6 Game Trip - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.