Thompson Lifts Solar Bears to Comeback Win against Gladiators
DULUTH, Ga. - Despite playing with only 14 skaters and facing a 2-0 deficit after the first period, the Orlando Solar Bears (21-17-3-0) rallied to force overtime and Tayler Thompson lifted Orlando to a 3-2 win over the Atlanta Gladiators (13-19-6-1) on Saturday night at Infinite Energy Arena.
Avery Peterson opened the scoring for the Gladiators just 2:52 into the contest with a power-play goal that beat Martin Ouellette.
Filip Pyrochta then extended Atlanta's lead to two goals at 9:19.
Trevor Olson got Orlando on the board at 12:39 of the second period with a power-play goal when he knocked in a loose puck past Sean Bonar for his seventh goal of the season.
Colby McAuley evened the score at 8:18 of the third period after he scooped up a feed from Jonne Tammela in the slot and slipped the puck past Bonar for his seventh of the season.
After 60 minutes of regulation, the game remained tied, ensuring Orlando would earn at least a point from the game. It was the 10th game that had been extended to overtime this season for the Solar Bears.
In overtime, Ouellette came up big with a breakaway save on Gladiators sniper Nick Bligh to keep the score tied 2-2.
Thompson netted the winner at 2:13 of the extra frame when he collected the puck off the right half-boards and circled back into the slot before stuffing the puck past Bonar.
Ouellette picked up the victory with 32 saves on 34 shots against; Bonar took the overtime loss with 21 stops on 24 shots against.
1) Tayler Thompson - ORL
2) Matt Lane - ATL
3) Martin Ouellette - ORL
Orlando is now 4-1-0-0 against Atlanta this season, and is tied with Idaho for the league lead with six wins in overtime.
McAuley's goal gives the forward a five-game point streak (3g-3a).
Tammela's assist on McAuley's goal extended his point streak to three games (3g-4a).
Michael Brodzinski finished the night with two assists for Orlando.
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears continue their road trip when they face the Greenville Swamp Rabbits on Friday, Feb. 1 at 7 p.m. at Bon Secours Wellness Arena. The Solar Bears return home to host the Jacksonville Icemen on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 7 p.m. for a Wine Down Wednesday. Fans can take advantage of $5 wine specials during the game. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets for the game.
Fighting Four Packs presented by CenturyLink:
Gear up for the second half of the 2018-19 season with a Fighting Four Pack, presented by CenturyLink! Pick any four remaining home games and get $65 dollars in gift certificates to Dick's Sporting Goods, First Watch, QDOBA Mexican Eats and a FREE center ice ticket to the Saturday, Feb. 23 game against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits, part of Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend, presented by XYMOPrint. Packs start as low as $69.99.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2019
- Thompson Lifts Solar Bears to Comeback Win against Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Strong Third Period Lifts Fuel over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Holds off Steelheads for 3-2 Win - Wichita Thunder
- 11,288 Fans Pack IceMen Game to Set Jacksonville Hockey Attendance Record - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Win Fifth Straight and Defeat Growlers 3-1 - Brampton Beast
- Return of the Mac: McCarron's Two-Goal Night Lifts 'Blades to 5-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 3-2 to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- GAME REPORT: Big Second Period Leads Oilers Past Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Take 6-5 Shootout Classic at Wesbanco Arena - Reading Royals
- Point Streak Moves to Six Games as Glads Fall 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Escape with Wild 6-5 Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Stumble in Brampton, Fall 3-1 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- Three-Goal Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Four-Goal First Period Paces Railers to 5-1 Home Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Drops Home and Home Set by 5-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Blast Mariners, 6-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Bury Mariners with Third Period Barrage - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- G Buffalo Heads to Reading from Adirondack for Futures - Reading Royals
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 26 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goalie Devin Buffalo Traded to Reading Royals - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Bolster Blue Line with the Addition of Eric Roy - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: K-Wings Begin Home and Home Set in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Returns from All-Star Break at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Doty and Motte Lead Allen over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 to Begin 6 Game Trip - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.