Point Streak Moves to Six Games as Glads Fall 3-2 in OT
DULUTH, GA - The Gladiators returned to home ice in search of their sixth straight win vs. the visiting Solar Bears. Atlanta could not hold on to the early 2-0 lead and dropped the contest 3-2 in overtime thanks to steadfast goaltending by Orlando's Martin Ouellette. With the point however in the OT defeat, the Gladiators moved their point streak to six games.
The home team got the raucous crowd going early, thanks to a slashing penalty on Orlando's Corey Kalk just 2:41 into the contest. Olivier Galipeau gathered the puck at the offensive blue line early in the man-advantage. He found Matt Lane at the far-side half boards, where the Rochester, NY native walked the puck into the circle before throwing a shot on goal. Orlando goaltender, Ouellette stopped Lane's blast, but the rebound found newcomer Avery Peterson in the crease. He collected the puck and dished it past the stick side of the Quebec native to net the early Atlanta lead.
At the 10:41 mark of the opening frame, Derek Nesbitt saucered the puck around the back of the goal to Lane. He faked a shot to earn more defensive attention before a sleek pass found the Czech defenseman Filip Pyrochta in the high slot. The newcomer's wrist shot bested Ouellette to double the Atlanta lead.
Atlanta was called for a stick holding penalty 12:08 into the middle period, putting the visiting Solar Bears on their fourth power play. Just :31 seconds into that man advantage, the visitors found the back of the net. Trevor Olsen shuffled the puck underneath Sean Bonar to bring Orlando within one, with assists from Mathieu Foget and Michael Brodzinski.
Both teams had power play opportunities down the stretch, but most were met with outstanding goaltending from Ouellette and Bonar. Atlanta gathered the puck behind Ouellette's net before a Solar Bear forced an unfortunate turnover to the crease in front of Bonar's goal. With no defenders around, Colby McAuley corralled the puck and deked around Bonar to find the game-tying goal with 12:42 to play in regulation.
Both team's earned themselves great chances down the stretch but with the goaltender on the top of their games, the contest shifted to OT with both team's being awarded a point in the standings. At the 2:13 mark of the extra session and after two game-saving saves by Ouellette, Taylor Thompson maneuvered around the Glads' defense and potted home the game-winning tally.
The Gladiators lost their first game in over three weeks but still earned a point and tied Greenville with 33 points for seed number six. Orlando takes two points to affirm their grasp on the final playoff spot in the South Division with 45.
The homestand continues as the Gladiators return to home ice on Wednesday, January 30th against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits for Wild WINsday at the Infinite Energy Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2019
- Thompson Lifts Solar Bears to Comeback Win against Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Strong Third Period Lifts Fuel over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Holds off Steelheads for 3-2 Win - Wichita Thunder
- 11,288 Fans Pack IceMen Game to Set Jacksonville Hockey Attendance Record - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Win Fifth Straight and Defeat Growlers 3-1 - Brampton Beast
- Return of the Mac: McCarron's Two-Goal Night Lifts 'Blades to 5-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 3-2 to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- GAME REPORT: Big Second Period Leads Oilers Past Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Take 6-5 Shootout Classic at Wesbanco Arena - Reading Royals
- Point Streak Moves to Six Games as Glads Fall 3-2 in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Escape with Wild 6-5 Shootout Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Stumble in Brampton, Fall 3-1 to the Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- Three-Goal Third Pushes Fuel Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Four-Goal First Period Paces Railers to 5-1 Home Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Drops Home and Home Set by 5-1 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Blast Mariners, 6-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Bury Mariners with Third Period Barrage - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- G Buffalo Heads to Reading from Adirondack for Futures - Reading Royals
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 26 - Wheeling Nailers
- Goalie Devin Buffalo Traded to Reading Royals - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Bolster Blue Line with the Addition of Eric Roy - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: K-Wings Begin Home and Home Set in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Reading Returns from All-Star Break at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Doty and Motte Lead Allen over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 to Begin 6 Game Trip - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.