T-Bones Score Early to Beat Goldeyes
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (16-14) lost 7-3 to the Kansas City T-Bones at Shaw Park on Tuesday night.
With runners on the corners and one out in the top of the first, Zach Walters lifted a sacrifice fly to left that scored Dylan Tice with the game's first run.
"Tough one," said Goldeyes' manager Rick Forney. "We're facing a really good team that's locked in offensively. They have some depth in their lineup one through nine. When you're not pitching well enough, they can be a handful. Right now they're not beating themselves, so we have to be a little more patient, and make some guys pitch to us more. Once we do that, then we'll have a little more success on offence."
Keith Curcio doubled down the right field line leading off the second and later scored on a two-out, infield single by Todd Cunningham that made it 2-0.
In the top of the third, Adrian Nieto singled to right with two outs. Curcio followed with a two-run home run to right that stretched Kansas City's (17-13) lead to 4-0.
Dexter Kjerstad led off the top of the fifth with a single to left, took third on a single to right-centre by Nieto, and scored the T-Bones' fifth run on a Curcio sacrifice fly to left.
Tucker Nathans hit a solo home run to right field in the bottom of the sixth to put Winnipeg on the board.
The T-Bones answered back in the seventh. Walters and Kjerstad opened the inning with back-to-back walks. After Nieto sacrificed the runners ahead, Curcio walked to load the bases. Tucker Pennell then lined a single to left that scored Walters and Kjerstad.
In the bottom of the inning, Eric Aguilera singled to centre leading off. Josh Mazzola followed with a two-run homer to left that pulled Winnipeg within 7-3.
The Goldeyes brought the tying run to the plate in the bottom of the ninth before reliever Sam Street closed out the game.
Scott Carroll (2-0) started for the T-Bones and earned the win. Carroll allowed three earned runs on six hits in seven and one-third innings. Carroll walked one and struck out six.
"We've been facing some good pitchers-guys with high pitchability who have pitched at experienced levels," said Forney. Last night, (Thomas) Collider was a Double-A guy with a really successful career, and tonight we're facing a former big leaguer that has a lot of pitchability. They can exploit your weaknesses and make pitches."
Edwin Carl (2-2) started for Winnipeg and took the loss, allowing five earned runs on nine hits in six innings. Carl walked five and struck out three.
Carter Johnson pitched one and two-thirds scoreless innings of relief for the Goldeyes. Kevin Garcia threw out two more potential base stealers, catching Nieto on an attempt of third in the fifth inning and Tice on an attempt of second in the ninth. Garcia is now 12-for-25 (48%) in throwing out runners this season, best in the American Association.
The series concludes Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. Kevin McGovern (2-2, 2.84) takes on right-hander Lucas Irvine (2-0, 4.35). Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 19, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Keep Rolling in Winnipeg - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Score Season High Nine Runs for Third Win in Four Games - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Score Early to Beat Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Clutch Hitting, Bullpen Lead Wingnuts to Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- McNutt Shuts Down X's in Loss - Sioux City Explorers
- Missed Opportunities the Difference in Canaries Loss to Wingnuts - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Fall to Dogs in First-Ever Meeting - Texas AirHogs
- 'Cats End 3-Game Losing Streak with 3-1 Win over Railroaders - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Tuesday Game Postponed, Doubleheader at Haymarket Park on Wednesday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints and Saltdogs Rained Out, Doubleheader Wednesday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Activate OF John Price Jr. from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Set to Face Former Husker Hitter-Turned Knuckleballer Dan Johnson Tonight - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Getting the Band Back Together: Saltdogs Ink 2017 HR Leader Randolph Oduber - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 19 Hit Performance Helps T-Bones Bounce Back - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Can't Slow Saints Offense in 15-9 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Score a Season High in Runs, Thrash Saltdogs 15-9 - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Beat Goldeyes to Open Series - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.