Saltdogs Set to Face Former Husker Hitter-Turned Knuckleballer Dan Johnson Tonight
LINCOLN, NE - The Lincoln Saltdogs will try to even the series against the St. Paul Saints by beating former Husker, 10-year MLB vet, and knuckleballer Dan Johnson tonight.
Johnson first made baseball headlines as a slugger for Nebraska from 2000-2001. As a senior, he earned first-team All-America honors from three publications and led the Huskers to their first College World Series appearance. The first baseman hit 46 home runs in his two seasons, including a school-record 25 round-trippers in 2001. He owns the career record for Slugging Percentage with an unreal .791 mark.
The Oakland Athletics picked Johnson in the 7th round of the 2001 MLB draft. He went on to spend parts of 10 seasons in the MLB and belted 57 home runs over his career. He was known for his clutch hitting and delivered his most famous homer on September 28, 2011. His two-out, bottom of the ninth inning blast tied his Tampa Bay Rays with the New York Yankees in the final game of the season. The Rays won the game in extra-innings to clinch the AL Wild Card.
Johnson has retooled himself as a knuckleball pitcher. He has pitched in 13 games over the past three seasons and owns a 5-6 record with a 5.54 ERA. He logged his most innings with St. Paul in 2016 when tossed 40 innings and mustered a 4.50 ERA. His best effort that season was a seven-inning shutout performance against the Saltdogs at Haymarket Park. The 38-year-old pitched one scoreless inning against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks earlier this year.
The Saltdogs (18-13) will try to spoil Johnson's homecoming and avenge yesterday's 15-9 defeat. Lincoln will throw Mike Tamburino tonight. The righty is 3-0 with a 2.02 ERA, the second-best mark in the league.
Fans can purchase $10 Triple Play deals for tonight's game. The package includes a reserved ticket, a hot dog and a soda. First pitch is at 6:45 PM with coverage beginning at 6:15 PM on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM and saltdogs.com/stream.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 19, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Keep Rolling in Winnipeg - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Score Season High Nine Runs for Third Win in Four Games - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Score Early to Beat Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Clutch Hitting, Bullpen Lead Wingnuts to Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- McNutt Shuts Down X's in Loss - Sioux City Explorers
- Missed Opportunities the Difference in Canaries Loss to Wingnuts - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Fall to Dogs in First-Ever Meeting - Texas AirHogs
- 'Cats End 3-Game Losing Streak with 3-1 Win over Railroaders - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Tuesday Game Postponed, Doubleheader at Haymarket Park on Wednesday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints and Saltdogs Rained Out, Doubleheader Wednesday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Activate OF John Price Jr. from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Set to Face Former Husker Hitter-Turned Knuckleballer Dan Johnson Tonight - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Getting the Band Back Together: Saltdogs Ink 2017 HR Leader Randolph Oduber - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 19 Hit Performance Helps T-Bones Bounce Back - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Can't Slow Saints Offense in 15-9 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Score a Season High in Runs, Thrash Saltdogs 15-9 - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Beat Goldeyes to Open Series - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Saltdogs Stories
- Saltdogs Sign Three More Players, Including Former Husker Hohensee
- Saltdogs Add Pitcher, Catcher to Roster
- Saltdogs Hire Michael Dixon as Director of Broadcasting
- Former Saltdog Flores Gets Double-A Coaching Job
- Saltdogs Pick Premier as Next Food Service Provider