Dogs Score Season High Nine Runs for Third Win in Four Games
Rosemont, Ill. - The Dogs posted their best offensive output of the season en route to a 9-2 victory Tuesday night in the opener of a three-game series between Chicago and the Texas AirHogs at Impact Field.
Chicago scored early and often against a much-beleaguered Texas pitching staff, tallying six runs in their first three innings at the dish.
The biggest blow was delivered in the bottom of the fourth by Chicago's leading hitter, Treysen Vavra. With the bases loaded and one out in the frame, Vavra plated two runs with a double to right-center field. The hit was the 11th of the year in 29 bases loaded at-bats and earned Vavra his sixteenth and seventeenth RBI of the year.
Vavra wasn't done on the night however, as he would collect his third RBI of the night and eighteenth of the season thanks to a sixth inning single. Vavra reached base all four times he came to the plate Tuesday, raising his batting average 20 points to .367 on the year.
The Dogs received multi-hit games from Joe Benson and Ryan Wagner, and wrapped out another 11 hits on the night. Chicago has now mashed 87 hits over their past nine games.
Michael Wagner made the start for the Dogs, and earned his first win of the year. In his fifth starting nod, Wagner went five innings, allowing one earned run on five hits. The Chicago right-hander is now 1-3 on the year.
Texas scattered nine hits, but left 13 men on base and fell to 5-24 on the year with the loss. The Dogs move to 9-20 on the season with the victory.
The two teams will resume their three-game set with a Wiener Wednesday first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Impact Field. Josh Goossen-Brown toes the rubber for the Chicago, while Miguel Rosario gets the ball for Texas.
The game will be broadcast at www.thechicagodogs.com/broadcasts/ with the Crowne Plaza Pregame Show beginning at 6:45 p.m.
Follow the team on social media at @TheChicagoDogs on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. For more information, visit TheChicagoDogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 19, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Keep Rolling in Winnipeg - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Score Season High Nine Runs for Third Win in Four Games - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Score Early to Beat Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Clutch Hitting, Bullpen Lead Wingnuts to Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- McNutt Shuts Down X's in Loss - Sioux City Explorers
- Missed Opportunities the Difference in Canaries Loss to Wingnuts - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Fall to Dogs in First-Ever Meeting - Texas AirHogs
- 'Cats End 3-Game Losing Streak with 3-1 Win over Railroaders - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Tuesday Game Postponed, Doubleheader at Haymarket Park on Wednesday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints and Saltdogs Rained Out, Doubleheader Wednesday - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Activate OF John Price Jr. from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Set to Face Former Husker Hitter-Turned Knuckleballer Dan Johnson Tonight - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Getting the Band Back Together: Saltdogs Ink 2017 HR Leader Randolph Oduber - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 19 Hit Performance Helps T-Bones Bounce Back - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Can't Slow Saints Offense in 15-9 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Score a Season High in Runs, Thrash Saltdogs 15-9 - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Beat Goldeyes to Open Series - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer
- Torrez, Vavra Lead Chicago to 6-3 Win over St. Paul
- Dogs Spoil Strong Start from Simms, Lose 2-1