T-Bones Clinch Playoff Spot; Defeat Gary in 16 Innings
GARY, Ind. - The Kansas City T-Bones have clinched a playoff spot for the first time since 2010 and will take on the Sioux City Explorers at T-Bones Stadium Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at 7:05. Tickets are available for $8.00 at tbonesbaseball.com or by visiting the Box Office, which will be open special hours on Labor Day 10:00 am - 2:00 pm.
On Sunday, Kansas City trailed most of the ball game against the Gary SouthShore RailCats, but came back victorious 3-2 in 16 innings.
Gary started it off in the bottom of the second, when Tilman Pugh smashed a solo home run to left-center field to give Gary a 1-0 lead.
In the bottom of the third, the RailCats added to their lead as Randy Santiesteban doubled off the center field wall and was pushed home by a Tilman Pugh RBI double.
Gary maintained the 2-0 lead until the sixth when Mason Davis doubled to center and scored on a Noah Perio Jr. sac fly.
In the eighth, Ryan Brett got aboard with a single, then moved to third on a single by Mason Davis. Noah Perio Jr. then hit an infield single that scored Brett and evened up the game 2-2.
Gary threatened to take the lead a couple of times in extra innings but was shut down by T-Bones reliever Pasquale Mazzoccoli. In the 14th, the RailCats had the bases loaded with two out when Mazzoccoli struck out Cole Fabio. In the 15th, Gary led off with a triple by Ronnie Mitchell, but Mazzoccoli struck out two other batters and Andy Paz lined to right field for the third out.
The T-Bones took advantage of that good fortune in the 16th when Mason Davis crushed a go-ahead solo home run down the right field line to put Kansas City up 3-2.
The RailCats were unable to rally a run in the bottom of the 16th and the T-Bones chalked up their 62nd win of the season 3-2 over Gary. The two teams are back at it again Monday at 1:10. You can listen to all of the action with the voice of the T-Bones, Dan Vaughan Jr., at http://mixlr.com/t-bones-baseball/.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 3, 2018
- North Division Champion RailCats Announce North Division Series Schedule - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Celebrate Final Game at Lawrence-Dumont with Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Claim North Division with 3-2 Comeback Win vs. KC - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Garrett Powers Canaries to Season-Ending Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Finish 2018 Season with Loss to Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Wrap 2018 Season, Thomas Named to All-Star Squad - Texas AirHogs
- Railroaders Sweep Final Series of Year - Cleburne Railroaders
- Tickets Now on Sale as Saints Will Host First Two Games of North Division Series on Tuesday and Wednesday - St. Paul Saints
- Cunningham Named All-Star; Host Playoffs Tuesday & Wednesday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Sermo and Garcia Sweep Weekly Awards - Sioux City Explorers
- Perfect 10: Saints Win Season Finale, Wait to See If They Are Division Champs - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Washed out in Season Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Curt Smith Chosen as a Postseason All-Star - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lang, Samson and Sermo Named All-Stars - Sioux City Explorers
- First Baseman Brady Shoemaker and Catcher Justin O'Conner Represent Playoff Bound Saints as Post-Season All-Stars - St. Paul Saints
- Banwart, Tillman, Watkins Snag Postseason Honors - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs Drop Penultimate Game of 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Clinch Playoff Spot; Defeat Gary in 16 Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- De Leon's Herculean Relief Outing Not Enough in 16-Inning, 3-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.