Cunningham Named All-Star; Host Playoffs Tuesday & Wednesday
GARY, Ind. - Outfielder Todd Cunningham was one of nine position players named as an American Association All-Star Monday. Cunningham consistently led the league with the No. 1 batting average for a good part of the season. He finished the year second with a .338 batting average and 17 stolen bases. An all-star game will not be played this season, but the contest will return next season. Read more at the American Association website to learn the whole team.
Also Monday, the Gary SouthShore RailCats snatched away a 2-0 lead from Kansas City to come back and win it 3-2 in the final game of the regular season. However, the T-Bones end the regular season setting a new franchise record for wins at 62, surpassing the previous record of 58.
The game was scoreless going into a 40-minute rain delay in the bottom of the third.
The game resumed, and in the fourth Todd Cunningham doubled to left, then Alay Lago doubled to left to drive him in for the first run of the game and a 1-0 lead over Gary.
In the top of the sixth, the T-Bones added to their lead. Ryan Brett doubled to center, advanced on a Mason Davis fly ball and was brought home by a Todd Cunningham RBI single to right to increase put Kansas City up 2-0.
But in the bottom of the sixth, the RailCats doused the T-Bones hope for a shutout. Randy Santiesteban doubled to left, then Alex Crosby hit an RBI single to left that put Gary on the board trailing KC 2-1. Andy Paz, who reached base by being hit by a pitch, later scored on an RBI single to right by K.C. Huth - evening up the game 2-2.
In the seventh, the RailCats grabbed a 3-2 lead as D.K. Carey, who walked to lead off the inning, scored on a sac fly to center by Colin Willis.
The lead was enough for Gary to win the game, with a final of 3-2.
The T-Bones clinched a playoff spot Sunday and will take on the Sioux City Explorers Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at 7:05 at T-Bones Stadium. Tickets are available for $8.00 at tbonesbaseball.com or by visiting the Box Office.
Images from this story
Todd Cunningham of the Kansas City T-Bones
(John Ellis / Kansas City T-Bones)
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 3, 2018
- North Division Champion RailCats Announce North Division Series Schedule - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Celebrate Final Game at Lawrence-Dumont with Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Claim North Division with 3-2 Comeback Win vs. KC - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Garrett Powers Canaries to Season-Ending Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Finish 2018 Season with Loss to Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Wrap 2018 Season, Thomas Named to All-Star Squad - Texas AirHogs
- Railroaders Sweep Final Series of Year - Cleburne Railroaders
- Tickets Now on Sale as Saints Will Host First Two Games of North Division Series on Tuesday and Wednesday - St. Paul Saints
- Cunningham Named All-Star; Host Playoffs Tuesday & Wednesday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Sermo and Garcia Sweep Weekly Awards - Sioux City Explorers
- Perfect 10: Saints Win Season Finale, Wait to See If They Are Division Champs - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Washed out in Season Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Curt Smith Chosen as a Postseason All-Star - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lang, Samson and Sermo Named All-Stars - Sioux City Explorers
- First Baseman Brady Shoemaker and Catcher Justin O'Conner Represent Playoff Bound Saints as Post-Season All-Stars - St. Paul Saints
- Banwart, Tillman, Watkins Snag Postseason Honors - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs Drop Penultimate Game of 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Clinch Playoff Spot; Defeat Gary in 16 Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- De Leon's Herculean Relief Outing Not Enough in 16-Inning, 3-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.