Railroaders Sweep Final Series of Year
CLEBURNE, Texas - Dustin Williams hit a grand slam and tied the club record with seven RBI, and the Railroaders swept a series for the first time since June 7th, 2017 with a 15-4 win in the season finale over the Texas AirHogs at The Depot on Monday afternoon.
Williams clubbed the grand slam - Cleburne's sixth of the year - as part of a five-run 4th inning that opened the scoring. After Cam Monger was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, Williams - who had just one RBI prior - cleared the bases with a homer to deep right-center.
The AirHogs scored two unearned runs in the 5th inning after a two-out error by Williams extended the inning. Stewart Ijames hit an RBI double, and Javion Randle drove him in with a run-scoring single.
The Railroaders got a run back on a throwing error in the 5th inning, and Angel Rosa drove in another with an RBI single in the bottom of the 6th inning.
Cleburne scored five more times in the 7th after Williams hit a two-run single and Mike Gulino hit a three-run homer, and the Railroaders added three more on two bases-loaded walks and a sacrifice fly to make it 15-2.
The AirHogs got a pair of runs back on two RBI groundouts in the 9th inning.
Mike gulino went 1-for-4 with four RBI and Levi Scott went 2-for-4 with a walk, double and an RBI. Angelo Gumbs had a two-hit game, and Paul Ludden walked twice and scored twice.
Roman Gomez delivered a 1-2-3 inning for his final appearance as a professional, and Tyler Wilson went 1-2-3 in the 8th inning.
James Williams got his second start for Cleburne and went six innings, giving up two unearned runs on only four hits with two walks and five strikeouts.
The Railroaders finish the 2018 season at 33-66, having won 21 games at home and 12 on the road.
Cleburne will begin the 2019 American Association campaign next May, with an anticipated schedule release in early-to-mid October. Stay in touch with the Railroaders all offseason long on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and check www.railroaderbaseball.com to stay as up-to-date as possible.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 3, 2018
- North Division Champion RailCats Announce North Division Series Schedule - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Celebrate Final Game at Lawrence-Dumont with Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Claim North Division with 3-2 Comeback Win vs. KC - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Garrett Powers Canaries to Season-Ending Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Finish 2018 Season with Loss to Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Wrap 2018 Season, Thomas Named to All-Star Squad - Texas AirHogs
- Railroaders Sweep Final Series of Year - Cleburne Railroaders
- Tickets Now on Sale as Saints Will Host First Two Games of North Division Series on Tuesday and Wednesday - St. Paul Saints
- Cunningham Named All-Star; Host Playoffs Tuesday & Wednesday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Sermo and Garcia Sweep Weekly Awards - Sioux City Explorers
- Perfect 10: Saints Win Season Finale, Wait to See If They Are Division Champs - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Washed out in Season Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Curt Smith Chosen as a Postseason All-Star - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lang, Samson and Sermo Named All-Stars - Sioux City Explorers
- First Baseman Brady Shoemaker and Catcher Justin O'Conner Represent Playoff Bound Saints as Post-Season All-Stars - St. Paul Saints
- Banwart, Tillman, Watkins Snag Postseason Honors - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs Drop Penultimate Game of 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Clinch Playoff Spot; Defeat Gary in 16 Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- De Leon's Herculean Relief Outing Not Enough in 16-Inning, 3-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.