Sermo and Garcia Sweep Weekly Awards
Wichita, KS - The Sioux City Explorers announce that infielder Jose Sermo has been named the Pointstreak American Association player of the week and pitcher Jason Garcia has been named the Pointstreak American Association pitcher of the week
Jose Sermo over the past week has went 12-26 and compiled an average of .462 as he crushed 4 home runs and drove in 14 RBI's which helped him take the league lead in the category with a season total of 81. He also scored 9 runs, hit 3 doubles and walked 7 times. For Sermo it's his first player of the week honor.
Sermo during the week on August 28th in a game against the Kansas City T-Bones hit his 20th home run of the year. It marked the first time in franchise history that a Explorers player had been able to put together a 20 home run and 20 stolen base season and just the third player in league history. Sermo also became the first player in league history to have a season of 20 home runs, 20 stolen bases and 20 doubles.
Sermo enters the final game of the regular season one home run shy of the league lead as he has 22 and Tony Thomas of Wichita stands with 23. Sermo capped off his player of the week campaign during the Explorers Sunday afternoon win when he went 2-3 with 2 home runs, and 4 RBI's and 2 runs scored leading the Explorers to a 4-0 win over the Wichita Wingnuts. For Sermo it was his third multi home run game of the season.
Jason Garcia actually made two appearances for the Explorers during the week. But the one that was most notable and nabbed him pitcher of the week honors was his complete game shut out of the Texas Airhogs on August 29th. Garcia held the Airhogs to only two hits during the nine innings as he struck out seven. He did not let a single Airhog reach second base during the outing. Garcia had gone 8.1 innings of one hit ball and was two outs away from becoming the first Sioux City Explorer to throw a one hitter since becoming a part of the American Association in 2006. The complete game was the second of his professional career but it was the first shut out of his career.
Garcia also pitched a scoreless inning out of the bullpen for the Explorers on September 1st in a game against the Wichita Wingnuts as he held the Wingnuts without a run in the eighth. On total for the week Garcia was 1-0 in one start and one bullpen appearance compiling 10 innings of work, allowing just 3 hits and walks and striking out 8.
Garcia is a former Boston Red Sox draft pick taken in the 17th round of the 2010 draft. He spent five seasons in the Red Sox farm system before being taken by the Baltimore Orioles in the 2015 Rule 5 draft. Garcia would appear in 21 big league games for the Baltimore Orioles in 2015 going 1-0 and putting together a 4.25 ERA. He would spend three seasons with the Orioles organization then joining the Colorado Rockies in 2018 and their AA affiliate the Hartford Yardgoats before being released in May and then joining the Explorers on August 19th.
For Sermo and Garcia it is their first weekly honors of the season. It is now the fourth time this year that the Explorers have had a player receive the weekly honor this season, (Jackson, Samson, Baum, Sermo). It is now the second time that an Explorers pitcher has been named pitcher of the week this year as Justin Vernia was named pitcher of the week for the week ending on August 5th. Jose Sermo was also one of three Sioux City Explorers just named as an American Association Post-Season All-Star.
2018 Playoff tickets are on sale now, reserve your seats by stopping down to the stadium box office, order online at www.xsbaseball.com or by calling the Sioux City Explorers at 712-277-WINS (9467). Group Discounts available for groups of 10 or more!
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 3, 2018
- North Division Champion RailCats Announce North Division Series Schedule - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Celebrate Final Game at Lawrence-Dumont with Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Claim North Division with 3-2 Comeback Win vs. KC - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Garrett Powers Canaries to Season-Ending Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Finish 2018 Season with Loss to Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Wrap 2018 Season, Thomas Named to All-Star Squad - Texas AirHogs
- Railroaders Sweep Final Series of Year - Cleburne Railroaders
- Tickets Now on Sale as Saints Will Host First Two Games of North Division Series on Tuesday and Wednesday - St. Paul Saints
- Cunningham Named All-Star; Host Playoffs Tuesday & Wednesday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Sermo and Garcia Sweep Weekly Awards - Sioux City Explorers
- Perfect 10: Saints Win Season Finale, Wait to See If They Are Division Champs - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Washed out in Season Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Curt Smith Chosen as a Postseason All-Star - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lang, Samson and Sermo Named All-Stars - Sioux City Explorers
- First Baseman Brady Shoemaker and Catcher Justin O'Conner Represent Playoff Bound Saints as Post-Season All-Stars - St. Paul Saints
- Banwart, Tillman, Watkins Snag Postseason Honors - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs Drop Penultimate Game of 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Clinch Playoff Spot; Defeat Gary in 16 Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- De Leon's Herculean Relief Outing Not Enough in 16-Inning, 3-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.