RailCats Claim North Division with 3-2 Comeback Win vs. KC
GARY, Ind. - The Gary SouthShore RailCats won their first Regular-Season Division Title as members of the American Association and set a franchise-record for most wins in a single-season with their 59th after defeating the Kansas City T-Bones, 3-2, in comeback fashion on a rainy Labor Day afternoon at U.S. Steel Yard. Trailing 2-0 entering the bottom of the sixth, Gary scored three unanswered runs to win the final regular-season game of the year and secure the No. 1 seed in the North Division Series.
Kansas City (62-37) took the opening lead for the first time during the series with a two-out run in the fourth. Todd Cunningham recorded the first extra-base hit on the rafternoon with a one-out double down into the left field corner. Two hitters later, Alay Lago recorded his first hit of the series with an RBI double to left-center, plating Cunningham from second.
The T-Bones increased their lead to 2-0 with another run in the top of the sixth. Ryan Brett doubled to left-center to begin the inning before moving up to third on Mason Davis' flyout to right. Cunningham followed Davis with an RBI single to center past a drawn-in infield, bringing home Brett from third.
Gary (59-41) ended their 19-inning scoreless drought with a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth, tying the game at 2-2. Randy Santiesteban doubled down the left line with two outs before Andy Paz was then grazed on the jersey on the very next pitch from T-Bones starter Jared Mortenesen. Alex Crosby followed Paz with an RBI double through the right side on the infield, scoring Santiesteban for the 'Cats first run. K.C. Huth then made it a 2-2 game with an opposite-field RBI single to right, bringing in Paz to score.
The RailCats took the lead for good on Colin Willis' sacrifice fly in the seventh. D.K. Carey reached base for the third time on the day with a leadoff walk before advancing up to second on Andy De Jesus' sacrifice bunt. Tillman Pugh then extended his league-best on-base streak to 41 games with an infield single, giving Gary runners on the corners before Willis drove in Carey with the game's final run.
Peyton Sanderlin (2-0) shined in his second professional start after getting activated from the seven-day disabled list before Monday's game. The right-hander went a career-high 7.1 innings, yielding two runs on seven hits, a walk and three strikeouts in the win while Myles Smith (8) recorded his team-high eighth hold after retiring both batters he faced, one via a strikeout, in the top of the eighth. Adam Quintana (12) secured the win with his second straight save in the top of the ninth after getting Tucker Pennell to groundout to him to end the regular-season.
Robert Calvano (0-1) was charged with the loss in his third appearance in as many days. In one inning of relief, the right-hander allowed one run on a hit and a walk.
Gary begins the North Division Series on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. against the St. Paul Saints in Minnesota. RHP Keaton Steele (4-6, 3.33) is expected to start game one against St. Paul while the Saints have yet to announce their starter.
The RailCats are offering a special "Playoff Pass" that includes tickets to all 2018 American Association Playoff Games played at U.S. Steel Yard. The Reserved Seat Pass costs $18, and includes one reserved seat ticket to every home playoff game, while the Box Seat Pass costs $20, and includes one box seat ticket to every home playoff game
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 3, 2018
- North Division Champion RailCats Announce North Division Series Schedule - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Celebrate Final Game at Lawrence-Dumont with Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Claim North Division with 3-2 Comeback Win vs. KC - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Garrett Powers Canaries to Season-Ending Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Finish 2018 Season with Loss to Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Wrap 2018 Season, Thomas Named to All-Star Squad - Texas AirHogs
- Railroaders Sweep Final Series of Year - Cleburne Railroaders
- Tickets Now on Sale as Saints Will Host First Two Games of North Division Series on Tuesday and Wednesday - St. Paul Saints
- Cunningham Named All-Star; Host Playoffs Tuesday & Wednesday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Sermo and Garcia Sweep Weekly Awards - Sioux City Explorers
- Perfect 10: Saints Win Season Finale, Wait to See If They Are Division Champs - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Washed out in Season Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Curt Smith Chosen as a Postseason All-Star - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lang, Samson and Sermo Named All-Stars - Sioux City Explorers
- First Baseman Brady Shoemaker and Catcher Justin O'Conner Represent Playoff Bound Saints as Post-Season All-Stars - St. Paul Saints
- Banwart, Tillman, Watkins Snag Postseason Honors - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs Drop Penultimate Game of 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Clinch Playoff Spot; Defeat Gary in 16 Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- De Leon's Herculean Relief Outing Not Enough in 16-Inning, 3-2 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- American Association Designated as Partner League of MLB
- RailCats Announce the Greens at the Steel Yard Event
- Gary SouthShore RailCats, Schaumburg Boomers to Add Black Lives Matters Patches to Team Jerseys
- RailCats Announce New Special Events and Facility Rental Opportunities
- RailCats 2020 Season Suspended Due to COVID-19 Pandemic