Stingrays downed by Jackals, 3-2
North Charleston, SC - Keith Johnson scored two goals in the first period for the South Carolina Stingrays, but it wasn't enough as the Elmira Jackals scored two unanswered goals in the second period and held on in the third for a 3-2 win at the North Charleston Coliseum.
"To be perfectly honest, I thought we played better tonight then we did yesterday," said Head Coach Jared Bednar. "It's always tough to lose, but I thought the guys came out to play tonight."
In the first period, Pierre-Luc Faubert scored his ninth goal of the year from Joe Grimaldi and Josh Aspenland at 9:13 to give the Jackals a 1-0 lead. The lead was short lived when Keith Johnson got his sixth goal of the year on a tipped shot from Scott Romfo and Travis Morin to tie the game up at one at 14:45. Exactly two minutes later, Johnson struck again, this time tipping in a shot from Johann Kroll with Morin getting the other assist on the power play.
Early in the second period, Benoit Doucet got the tying goal for the Jackals at 2:48 which was shortly thereafter followed by former Stingray Paul McIlveen getting the eventual game winning goal, his seventh of the year, on the five on three.
The third period was dominated by the Stingrays, they out shot the Jackals 13-5 in the period, but after hitting the post twice, they were unable to score.
The losing goaltender was Michal Neuvirth who stopped 27 of the 30 shots he faced. The winning goaltender was David Shantz who stopped 35 of the 37 shots he faced. The Rays went 1-2 on the power play while killing off three of the four short handed situations they faced.
The Rays will be back tomorrow afternoon when they take on Charlotte Checkers before the Christmas break. Game time will be at 4:00 P.M. You can hear the game live on Sports Radio 1450 starting with the Benitos pre-game show beginning at 3:45.
Don't miss all the fast-paced, hard-hitting action! Individual tickets can be purchased at the North Charleston Coliseum box office, by calling Ticketmaster at (843) 554-6060 and online at www.ticketmaster.com.
Full and partial season tickets are available by calling (843) 744-2248 or by visiting online at www.stingrayshockey.com. Stingrays Hockey - A Whole Lot Cooler!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 20, 2008
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2 In Overtime; Unbeaten Streak Now At Five - Utah Grizzlies
- Aces Swept by Victoria - Alaska Aces
- Salmon Kings sweep Aces - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Reign Rally Past RoadRunners 4-3 In A SO - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Thunder drops final head-to-head matchup at Selland Arena - Stockton Thunder
- Dayton Downs Cincinnati 5-4 in Shootout - Dayton Bombers
- Five different goal scorers contribute to victory over Condors - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads take series finale from Condors, 5-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Chiefs dropped by Wheeling - Johnstown Chiefs
- Royals Earn a Point in SOL in Trenton, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Devils Use Shootout to Defeat Royals, 5-4 - Trenton Devils
- Dayton Takes 5-4 Shootout Win From Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Morrison Scores Game-Winner With 1:46 Left For 5-4 Win at Johnstown - Wheeling Nailers
- Blades run streak to four at 5-2 win over Mississippi - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays downed by Jackals, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cruthers scores 18th goal of season but Everblades win 5-2 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign Vs Phoenix Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Fresno Falcons - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Rays Host Elmira Tonight at 7:05 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Goepfert Returns to Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Team record fifth shutout of the season propels Victoria to a 4-0 win - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Reign Come From Behind in 4-3 Win - Ontario Reign
- Ontario Edges Las Vegas 4-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Thunder Snag Second Straight Win Over Fresno on Rohlfs' Shootout Winner - Stockton Thunder
- Falcons fall in shoot-out - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings, Ford Stifle Aces - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.